•  

Any technique advice for beginners riding at QR?

April 18, 2012, 07:57 PM

Yeah, just ride the wood thing. if you crash you crash, there's no special secret, just hit it.

XXX

April 18, 2012, 08:16 PM

Thanks guys, I'll just hit it next time I'm there.

I'll be riding clipped in.

XXX

April 18, 2012, 08:25 PM

Your brave!

Any interest in a beginner oriented group skillz ride with some experienced riders at QR or camrock next sunday 29th at 1 pm?

XXX

April 18, 2012, 08:48 PM

One last comment on the pedal discussion: I rode with clips for a few years and made the switch to platform two years ago. I've always enjoyed the freedom of pedals but also willing to admit that the foot has slipped off the pedal once or twice when it was not desired and have a couple scars to prove it.

I finally got a pair of Five Tens this spring and I feel like I am practically attached to the bike again (was riding with skate shoes and sneakers before). It's amazing how much grip these shoes have while also providing a lot of support and protection. They are also way more comfortable than clipless shoes and surprisingly breathable. This is honestly the best $100 bucks I've spent on bike parts/accessories in a long time.

XXX

April 18, 2012, 09:26 PM

Oh ya i forgot that. Get 5-10's. Seriously.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

April 18, 2012, 09:48 PM

One last comment on the pedal discussion: I rode with clips for a few years and made the switch to platform two years ago. I've always enjoyed the freedom of pedals but also willing to admit that the foot has slipped off the pedal once or twice when it was not desired and have a couple scars to prove it.

I finally got a pair of Five Tens this spring and I feel like I am practically attached to the bike again (was riding with skate shoes and sneakers before). It's amazing how much grip these shoes have while also providing a lot of support and protection. They are also way more comfortable than clipless shoes and surprisingly breathable. This is honestly the best $100 bucks I've spent on bike parts/accessories in a long time.

Oh ya i forgot that. Get 5-10's. Seriously.

What they said.

It's probably fair to say one reserve judgement if they haven't tried sticky shoes and spiked pedals.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 18, 2012, 10:16 PM

Your brave!

Any interest in a beginner oriented group skillz ride with some experienced riders at QR or camrock next sunday 29th at 1 pm?
    Would love to but I will be busy building trail. Want to join ;)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

April 18, 2012, 10:32 PM

To add to the clip debate, to me, the big advantage of clips is the extra power gained from the upstroke of the spin.  particuarly if I and standing mashing, pulling on the bars.  Also, at least for me, not being clip in makes me feel totally naked & vunerable.  The first time I went out at QR this year, my SPDs were too loose, and when I hit a jump and landed I came undone and lost control. 

To each his own, I don't ride DH a lot.  I find clips to be a major advantage both in climbing and in bunny hopping a bike or clearing larger obstacles, as I am able to lift my legs and the rear wheel. 

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

April 18, 2012, 10:40 PM

I will also add that a big mistake I made when I was a beginner was being too tense and "tight".  You really have to force yourself to loosen up, allow your body to act like suspension and "go with the flow" so to speak.  I lot of the difficulty as a newb is just confidence to do something and not tensing up.  To quote one of the better movies from the 80s, "if you think, you're dead."  Your body naturally wants to stay upright.  Trust your instincts young padawan. 

XXX

April 19, 2012, 01:00 AM

Chuck, I may, what are you building?

Tim, that's a very good point that I think a lot of experienced riders forget, loosen up.  Spending lots of time on a pump track will build your muscle memory in many different body positions on the bike and what they do to your ride.  Then when on the trail it will just instinctively do it without you thinking about it.  ANd you will be used to it so it will be relaxed.  Crashes hurt less then too.  Bruce Lee said, the softest thing cannot be broken.

Confidence and the mental part is most of it.  If you believe you will make it and you just go for it, you usually will.  That's why it's so helpful to follow someone.

I forgot about the beat up shins in the discussion, Damn yeah, I have a bunch of scars on my legs.  My adidas work fine with my grippy pedals.  Tim, if you learn to ride flats you would know how to ride jumps right and you wouldn't come out, the reason you came out isn't cause they weren't tight enough  :)
    Also, that's one of my favorite, the xc bunnyhop, if your stuck to it and jump it's by default not a bunnyhop guys!  :)

I'm just teasing, to each his own and do what works for you.  Just don't limit yourself if you can help it.

XXX

June 01, 2012, 10:46 AM

Being another newb, I can say I have trouble with a few climbs at QR, but I'm getting better. For the sandy climb I just drop to a really low gear and pedal away. Some days I make it, some days I don't; a lot of it is picking a line and committing.

Also, for the scary downhills, I haven't worked up to that one yet, but every time I ride QR I try to ride something better or faster than I did before. But then again, I wear long sleeves and full face in case I superman off my bike. (And +1 for platforms, imo)