•  

Re: Beginner forum?

April 16, 2012, 01:48 AM

I also think this would be good. 

This came out of us writing the brochure.  We realized that the fact that there is no beginner's corner should be addressed from the back end and not in text of the brochure.  I think we need to make an obvious spot for beginners on the site, maybe provide basic information about dif styles of mtn bikes for local trails, other equipment, and techniques for basics, like crossing logs etc.  Nick had the idea of leading a monthly beginner skill building group ride, I would gladly help people learn to ride better and do ttf or jumps or pump track skills, and I'm sure other good riders would come out too for these too.  Also bike mainanence class was a good idea.  If we put it on the calendar or see if there's an interest in one on a beginner forum, that may be enough to create an interest for one.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

April 16, 2012, 09:09 AM

Good ideas!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 16, 2012, 02:17 PM

Great Ideas! We need to make sure we are as inclusive as we can be if the club is to continue to grow and gain new people into the sport. All good, lets get it going 8)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 16, 2012, 04:01 PM

... and techniques for basics, like crossing logs etc. 

What would be really neat is techniques for crossing specific features at the local trails.  I was out at Camrock last week and again attempted to cross what I believe is referred to as the CORP log (couple hundred yards before Outback on the right half of a split trail).  I couldn't for the life of me figure it out.  Having a video on the site of folks riding the different features would be very useful.  General technique stuff is out there everywhere, specific stuff not so much.

FWIW, I can ride the filter, and the log piles, smaller single log crossings, big wood in the outback, etc. without much issue.  But that CORP log has me stymied.  I did order a bash ring to replace my big ring after this last attempt.  Riding a hardtail 29.  Any suggestions?

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

April 16, 2012, 04:31 PM

This log isn't as big as the CORP log, but this is the general technique that I use.  Not having a large chain ring helps immensely also.

Approach with more speed than you think you need...tap the front tire on the top of the log, start your lunge immediately when your front tire hits the log, and get your back wheel up and over.  If your lunge is high/hard enough, you can get your chainrings up high enough to not contact the log.  I find it helps to have your suspension fork locked out so it doesn't dive severely when your front wheel hits the ground on the other side of the log.

Last year at the skills ride at CR, we spent quite a bit of time sessioning that CORP log watching people that can get over it and trying it over and over.

XXX

April 16, 2012, 04:53 PM

Good idea about posting technique tips that are specific to local trails.  I've been following this forum for about a month now, and it appears to me that the people here are open and chatty.  If you want some specific advice, all you need to do is ask for it.  I have a few beginner-oriented questions specific to Quarry Ridge, so I'm going to hop on over to the Quarry Ridge portion of the forum right now and ask them.  Somebody will be willing to help.

BTW -- I met several folks at the March meeting.  It was a pleasure to meet you guys.  I still have not been on my mountain bike yet this season (or pitched-in at a trail work-day) because of my hand injury.  The cast is finally gone, but my thumb is still weak and has very limited range of motion.  At the moment, my riding is limited to indoor spinning class, or careful cruising around the neighborhood streets on either my fixed-gear or as stoker on the tandem because these bikes do not require manupulating shift or break levers.  This will change in another month or so.

XXX

April 17, 2012, 02:53 AM

Yeah to cross anything in front of you, exactly what it says in the video if you can't jump it completely.  Practice bunnyhopping, it is a variation of that.  Get the front tire on it solid and then bunnyhop and try to get the back tire to land at least where the front was if not further.

It sounds like we should get some skillz rides going asap.  They don't have to be a big formal deal althogh it'd be cool.  Post up and if I'm free I'll gladly ride with anybody who wants pointers on technical stuff and jumping stuff.

Believe it or not I learned almost all these skills riding street urban downtown too.  I live right downtown and know plenty of spots to session that will build your skills for off road.

XXX

April 18, 2012, 07:21 PM

kleroy, we'll be out at CamRock this Friday around 5:30 for a ride. I'd be glad so show you some things.

XXX

April 18, 2012, 08:18 PM

I just posted it up on the group rides page, but also, I'll be at pleasantview riding sat afternoon after the work day.  Maybe we'll have some small jumps in by then, but otherwise I will gladly help anyone along building the confidence to ride the dh flow course and help with the pump track too.

Maybe Nick's ready for the big boy jumps  :P

XXX

April 18, 2012, 08:21 PM

Also, Nick are you free next Sunday during the day, if so you want to see if we can get some peoples out for a beginner skillz ride at quarry ridge or camrock, it seems there is more of an interest in beginner q's about qr right now, i'm down for either?