•  

CamRock Trail Posse 2016

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 29, 2016, 09:23 AM

Hey Mayor, Camp10 here.   Yeah, I was out riding last night an saw the wild parsnip in Mayor's Meander.  Yuck!

I can get out tomorrow morning (Wed) and mow/lay back my sections.  I'll wear a rainsuit when I do the areas with the wild parsnip.  I've gotten that stuff on my skin before....no good!

That stuff will just grow back.  Let me know the long term solution.

If someone uses the DR tonight, can you put it back on the trailer?  Thanks.
    Thanks for getting to that! Smart to use some precautions. A lot less risk as well using the mower and the trimmer than a weed whacker.
    I will be meeting with the Ranger out there today and will let you know what Dane County's thoughts are on this situation.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 29, 2016, 09:26 AM

Also, the DR is committed tomorrow from about 5:30 pm for the rest of the night.

Just been waiting to hear the Dr Feelgood Prarie Muncher of Doom is back on its feet.  Is anyone else planning on using  it today (Tuesday) mid-morning to mid afternoon?

Should I just leave it on the trailer for whomever is going to be using it this evening?
    Awesome! No one has spoken up before about this afternoon, so it is all yours! Does not matter on the trailer. Tonight's work is nearby, so I doubt the trailer will be used. Thanks for getting to this so fast! The trail is starting to "tunnel" on the climb to the top of Rip 'N Ride. Some crazy growth there :o

Its 4-nicating insane how fast its growing.  I didn't expect to see what I saw when I got out there.

I have SKIPPED July 4th mowings in dry years before with no penalty.  I have NEVER needed Peabody and Shemans' Layback Machine before the middle of July; at the earliest! 

I hope to finish some time on Thursday.

At least the weather is nice for it, and the mosquitoes are well fed (for now)
    Thanks Jeff! Yeah I was a bit surprised as well. Good to put it in perspective of previous years. I thought the open prairies were a little less growth than normal. But those shaded and partly shaded areas are going nuts. They seem to like the wet and hot weather we have had lately.
    Let me know if you need help.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

June 29, 2016, 10:40 AM

Hey Mayor, Camp10 here.   Yeah, I was out riding last night an saw the wild parsnip in Mayor's Meander.  Yuck!

I can get out tomorrow morning (Wed) and mow/lay back my sections.  I'll wear a rainsuit when I do the areas with the wild parsnip.  I've gotten that stuff on my skin before....no good!

That stuff will just grow back.  Let me know the long term solution.

If someone uses the DR tonight, can you put it back on the trailer?  Thanks.
    Thanks for getting to that! Smart to use some precautions. A lot less risk as well using the mower and the trimmer than a weed whacker.
    I will be meeting with the Ranger out there today and will let you know what Dane County's thoughts are on this situation.

Please share what you learn from the Ranger so it can be talked about for other trails as well...that stuff is everywhere! Maybe we need a separate general post just for Wild Parsnip or invasive plant control. Trying to completely eradicate in some areas would be impossible but maybe there are things we can do while mowing or trimming to help keep it from spreading or growing back adjacent to the trails.     

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 30, 2016, 07:31 AM

Stand Down: The new clutch on the DR is acting up and needs to be replaced. So if your section of trail needs the DR to get it trimmed up we are officially on stand-by mode :(
    All of the other equipment is in good working order and ready to go. We will keep you informed as soon as Mr. DR is ready to get back on duty.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 01, 2016, 12:20 AM

So the DR Feelgood Prairie Muncher is still down. But they were overnighting a new clutch that will have the beast back in action soon. Hopefully today. Stay tuned.
    Jeff got out and laid back the southbound prairie with the Stihl Trimmer/layback machine today. The nasty Wild Parsnip on Mayors Playground has been tamed for now. So to my knowledge: Beaver Hole is very overgrown with nettles. And the northbound Connector needs a good trim. Other than that things are in pretty good shape. The wooded sections have a few face slappers to take care of, but nothing out of the ordinary.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 01, 2016, 07:18 AM

I'm planning on mowing sunday morning.  I'll check the forum for the status of the mower before heading out.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 01, 2016, 02:18 PM

I'm planning on mowing sunday morning.  I'll check the forum for the status of the mower before heading out.
    Sounds great Scott. Thanks for the update.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 06, 2016, 03:40 PM

The DR Feelgood Prairie Mower has a new clutch, is fully tested, and is back in action!
    Roy, Dave mowed the middle section, Beaver Hole, to test the mower. It still needs laying back as it is already falling into the trail. White River and Fat Tracks still need trimming as well.
    The other section in bad need is the first part of Outback.
    All Other area not done since race can use a trim.
    As always post up or contact me if you need assistance getting your designated section done.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 06, 2016, 05:51 PM

I'll be out Saturday morning to tackle my sections.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 06, 2016, 08:54 PM

I'll be out Saturday morning to tackle my sections.
    Thanks for the feedback Thom. And thanks for all your work.
    Those rollers and berms will be a lot more fun after Saturday!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 08, 2016, 07:22 PM

AND the DR is down again. Dang it's been a struggle again this year. Pretty minor as the drive chain broke. Will let you know when it is ready for use again.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 09, 2016, 03:59 PM

The DR is repaired and ready to mow...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:27 PM by MPett »

XXX

July 10, 2016, 09:25 AM

Assuming it's available, I plan on grabbing the weed wacker until around noon today (Sunday) to hit Turn It Up, Corkscrew area.

Cheers!
    Dan

XXX

July 10, 2016, 01:58 PM

Stonefly and Turn It Up are done!  Woot!

FYI, I when I got to the garage I found that the weed wacker had no string... also I didn't find the gas can for it.  fortunately I only live four blocks away from the garage, so I went home, grabbed my own "botanic disseverance appliance" and tackled it.   ;D

Being new to the trail posse, I don't know how CORP handles trail maintenance consumables.  For example gas and weed wacker string.  Do we purchase and replace ourselves & get reimbursed? 

Dan

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 14, 2016, 05:46 PM

The DR is back and running again! Hopefully it will stick this time. New chain, etc. There are a couple of things that need more work, but should not be an immediate issue.

Being new to the trail posse, I don't know how CORP handles trail maintenance consumables.  For example gas and weed wacker string.  Do we purchase and replace ourselves & get reimbursed? 
    Dan
    Dan, sorry for not getting back sooner. Thanks for getting that work done! I will work at getting the gas all filled back up. And if you need to get anything on your own, yes we will get reimbursed. You can look up Treasurer Brian's info above under Who is CORP? And just send a copy of the receipt to him and myself for approval. Simple as that.

~ Chuck Hutchens