•  

WORS Category

Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

March 07, 2012, 02:59 PM

So this may seem kind of odd but I am making an attempt at racing this year in the WORS series which I have not done but ridden many other races and rides in the past. My question is what category should I jump into? I don't want to feel like a sand bagger and run sport but not sure I would measure to much in comp.

Anyone have any suggestions. Most of the other races I have done and do each year are open (single speed) or by age group not category. Now to start riding like a fool till the season opener I guess. :)

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 07, 2012, 03:16 PM

Are you registering for the series?  If not, I'd start a coule races in Sport to gauge where you are.  If you're winning every time you start a race in Sport, move up to Comp.  I think you can switch categories mid-season even if you do register for a series number.

XXX
    selbig

March 07, 2012, 03:39 PM

I agree with Nate. Start out in Sport and move up if you feel the need. In my opinion, Comp is just a longer version of Sport with fewer riders. Sport is usually filled with 1/2 of the group who should probably be in Citizen and the other 1/2 decent, experienced riders. There are sandbaggers in every category so I wouldn't sweat it.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 07, 2012, 03:49 PM

The other nice thing about Comp versus Sport is you get the full course at all the venues.  Sometimes they short the Sport class some of the funner singletrack sections...at least they used to (says the guy who hasn't raced WORS for quite a few years).

Comp goes at the same time and has the same course as the Elite/Expert/Semi-pro/Cat1 or whatever they're calling the fast guys and ladies now-a-days.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 07, 2012, 05:18 PM

Battle of Camrock was my first Wors race last year.  I raced sport and finished middle of the field.  I was frustarted by the number of riders that caused bottlenecks because they couldn't clear a partial log. That said, I will prob race sport again this year,....... unless I manage to lose 30 pounds in 2 months.

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

March 07, 2012, 05:55 PM

Thanks guys that is really helpful. I'm riding with the Chain Smokers this year and they seem to be a great group of folks to ride to races with. I didn't know you could move up but I doubt you could go the other way of course. :) I'm lookin' forward to riding, racing and building trail this year. :)

XXX
    Tom Harron
    Former Club President
    Former President and Race Director of Battle of CR

March 07, 2012, 07:45 PM

I've ran Citizen and Sport and can attest to your problems with not technical "Roadies" in Sport. The Battle of CamRock is a true mountain bikers race. We had lots of great feedback from all levels. Overall Sport takes the more technical terrain out because the goal of the course is not the technical level but the goal is to get all the Leader through the Clydesdales finished in a window of time.

Dave, I would start Sport. You shouldn't be running Comp unless you finish in the top 5% of Sport consistently. Comp starts right after the Elite Cat 1 women which start 2 Minutes after the Elite Men. Comp division runs 1 lap less than Cat1 Men. Average distance around 20-25 miles for Comp. 25-30 for Cat1 Men.

Tom
    Pres.

XXX

March 08, 2012, 10:32 AM

I'll throw in one dissenting opinion, from someone who has only done a handfull of WORS races, that starting out in comp is better for some of us. My full-out-short-effort speed isn't much quicker than my all-day speed so in the few WORS type races that I've done the comp category actually works out better just because of the length. Of course I'm not the norm but for those of us that are more endurance oriented the extra distance in the comp races are an asset.

XXX
    selbig

March 08, 2012, 11:49 AM

I'll echo the comment on "roadie in the woods" comment. I've done numerous WORS races in Sport and without fail I would run into a log jam as soon as you hit the singletrack. Once it opens up there's a mad dash to pass. Unless you hit the hole shot at the start it's hard to move up. That's why I'm moving towards the longer endurance races.

Chainsmokers is a good group. There's plenty of people on that team who can give you an honest opinion.

XXX
    Tom Harron
    Former Club President
    Former President and Race Director of Battle of CR

March 08, 2012, 04:28 PM

I was mainly speaking as a Race Director. I know that Don would love to have USA Cycling run another Category level for Mountain Biking but we are stuck with three category races for now. Sport is the largest race at WORS events. Every division jams up when the single track gets tight. You are still racing the clock and not just the individuals around you. Just go balls out and pass when you have the opportunity but remember that everyone else including the first wave leader is passing people as well.

The CAT 1 race is for expert level individuals that can go all out for the whole race. Comp is racing with the elite so  there is a scrutiny of the individuals racing at the Comp Level.

The best way to get a good start at a WORS race is to start racing at the 1st race in IOLA and finish in the top 5 of your age group. You'll get a call up at the second race. Also sign up for the Series even if you are not going to compete in 7 races. Series Racers are called up before the rest of the day of racers.

My best races have been racers that I got a Series Leader call up. I race Cat2 40+/Clydes and most races start with around 40-50 people for that age division. The longer you stay up front in the first lap the better your overall will be. It's easy to get stuck behind a line of racers and start racing at there pace. Moving to Comp will just make it harder to pass. Either way I can't wait to cheer you guys on at this years events.

Hopefully your base training now!

T

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

March 08, 2012, 04:41 PM

Wow great responses guys. I race single speed so I will have to feel all of that out as well. Right now I'm in TITS mode (time in the saddle). Looking forward to racing and riding.