•  

Global Fat Bike Day 12.6.14

Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

November 15, 2014, 12:47 PM

Join CORP and Revolution Cycles to celebrate Global Fat Bike Day on 12/6/14.  Our fabulous fun faire of fat will be split into two phases.  First, come out for a frozen fat ride at Camrock.  Tires on tundra at 11:00 a.m.  Meet at Camrock Cafe and Sport parking lot.  Enjoy some cold ones afterwards.

Then, head over to Revolution Cycles in Madison around 4:00 for some local off-road fat bike fun and a trip to Karben4 Brewery.  More fun-filled fat frivolity to follow.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:53 PM by Tim Barber »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

November 16, 2014, 10:00 PM

Looking forward to this! It's gonna be a whole lot of Fat Fun :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

December 03, 2014, 12:19 PM

With the warmer temps predicted, any thoughts of doing this earlier in the day? Not saying I could make it earlier... but wondering if it might be better for those who want to ride the trails.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 03, 2014, 03:48 PM

With the warmer temps predicted, any thoughts of doing this earlier in the day? Not saying I could make it earlier... but wondering if it might be better for those who want to ride the trails.
    We got some snow out here last night. I am heading out now to do a ride and check conditions. Garrett said it was icy. I am guessing before the snow. Wondering how the snow affected conditions? It should also cover the bare spots.
    On another front, there is work to be done at CamRock to get ready for winter grooming. Maybe also on Saturday?
    I will try and post up conditions later.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 04, 2014, 07:55 AM

We got some snow out here last night. I am heading out now to do a ride and check conditions. Garrett said it was icy. I am guessing before the snow. Wondering how the snow affected conditions? It should also cover the bare spots.
    On another front, there is work to be done at CamRock to get ready for winter grooming. Maybe also on Saturday?
    I will try and post up conditions later.
    I did not make it out last night. As I was dressing the phone rang and I had to spring into dad-to-the-rescue mode. I will get out tonight for Thursday Night Rides.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 05, 2014, 06:58 AM

We ought to be just fine for Saturdays plans at CamRock. Got out last night. 98% of the trail is snow covered and I don't see that changing much by noon tomorrow. Predictions are only for a high of 35 tomorrow.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 05, 2014, 05:17 PM

Plans are shaping up for tomorrow's ride. There will be a fire/warm up stop at CamRock II. The beer cave will also be holding up to it's namesake. The plan is to have a fairly fun/casual ride around the park for as long as we wish. Stop and enjoy the scenery and the day a bit. Keep warm with a beverage or two. Then do some noshing and more general BS'ing when we get back to CamRock Sport. It won't be too cold, so we should not get chased out by the weather.

I have had a couple of inquiries about riding non-fat bikes. The trails will be fine for any bike. The snow is not deep at all. There are some slick spots, so airing down as far as possible will get you the best traction. Flats may be a good idea as well. Remember that CamRock Sport has demo fat bikes available for rent as well if you would like to try one out.

Also, the Cambridge Country Christmas is going on all weekend in Cambridge. In fact Santa will be visiting at CamRock Sport from 12-3p tomorrow. I am planning on sitting on his lap when we get back from our ride ;-) So no issues if you have a significant other that would like to come along, but does not want to ride. Or if you have kiddo's who want to come along. They will have lots to do all around town with carolers on the streets, hayrides, all kinds of things going on. The full schedule of the Cambridge Country Christmas is here:

Hope to see you out on the trails tomorrow! It's going to be a great day.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

December 05, 2014, 06:53 PM

So is there still plans for a meet up at 11 or is it a show up anytime and ride?

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 05, 2014, 07:52 PM

Plans as usual. Tires on tundra at 11.  Ride 'til ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 09, 2014, 03:20 PM

I posted up a few pics of the day on the CORP FB site. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/corp.mtb.msn

But overall it was a great day. A few of us started early with some trail work. We went out to do some trail modifications to try and allow grooming on as much of the trail system as is practical. Some minor modifications are needed to make this happen. But most tweaks are minor, and I think few will even notice the change in trails once the snow melts. Some trails we wont know for sure if we cn groom them until the snow starts to add up. And some trail we may be able to groom if the snowpack gets deep, but not until then.

We then got back (late) to join the gathering throng for the planned ride/event. Holy cow. I gotta say, I was blown away! I truly expected about 10 people to show up. I really never got a great count, because we are like herding cats, but I was told by many we had over 50 riders throughout the day. Whatever the number, it was awesome to see!

The libations started flowing whilst we were still in the parking lot. And the day just got better from there. Some rode a little. Some rode a lot. Either way we were all feeling guilty because the predicted weather of 30 degrees and cloudy turned into 45 and sunny. And with little snow there was certainly more soft trail than I wanted to see.

The beers stashed at the beer cave were gone in a flash. The beers at the CamRock II shelter lasted a while longer. And the roaring fire at the shelter was welcome in the breeze. But once the reserves of hard libations were all drained we pulled the plug and headed back to CamRock Sport for some food.

Much BSing and fellowship ensued. And we got to get our picture taken with Santa. All in all a great way to spend a Saturday in December.

~ Chuck Hutchens