•  

Need help with trail upkeep (Burdocks)

March 15, 2023, 08:23 PM

Hey Gang
    There has been some recent 'pruning' at the Burdocks that probably deserves some explaining.

There is a woody bush that you are familiar with if you've done any trimming at the Burdocks; it is invasive honeysuckle which is terrible for the local ecology. Aside from needing a lot of trimming because it grows annoyingly fast, it also chokes out native plants, the roots of some varieties have a toxin that further attacks plants around it, and the berries aren't good for local wildlife.

A good strategy with honeysuckle is to skip the trimming and just remove the whole bush, or at least trim it back to a stump.  The good news is that it's pretty easy to rip out even the biggest bushes because the root structure isn't very robust and even the thickest branches take just a few seconds with a hand saw to remove. As a bonus, when you remove it and build a brush pile, it becomes a habitat for birds and little furry things, win win. This is a great time of year to go after it too because the ground is soft and it rips out even easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3VGurhamH8&ab_channel=CarmelClayParksRec

You may notice some piles of brush appearing in boring places and if you look nearby you'll find freshly exposed interesting terrain ready to carve new lines into.

Cheers!

XXX

April 06, 2023, 09:21 PM

If you're a Burdocks trail builder, or builder curious, you should try to get out there with a rake and shovel as soon as you can. There is a lot of cool terrain ready to go that was previously inaccessible.

XXX

April 25, 2023, 10:19 PM

Revolution Cycles, Black Saddle Bike Shop, and SlowRoll Cycles deserve some props for rallying couple dozen riders to come out and clear trash at the Burdocks tonight.  A few garbage piles had gotten out of hand over the last few years but everyone dove in and cleared out every scrap of litter in just a couple hours. Trash seemed like it was an inevitable part of the landscape out there so it's actually shocking to see it so clean.

XXX

June 13, 2023, 12:44 PM

Speaking of weed trimming…a good amount of the trail is trimmed back including several routes that normally close up in the summer. I plan to finish this round of trimming over the next week but could really use the help of someone with a blower or willing to rake. Cleaning up is really slowing me down. With a helper or two the whole system will be wide open in a couple days, about half is there now.

XXX

July 04, 2023, 08:47 PM

I'm planning to do a work-n-ride at the Burdocks Thursday evening from about 5:30 to at least 7:30. The ToDo list is open to suggestions but things that come to mind:

• Trimming is in pretty good shape but there are more lines that could be opened up
    • There are a couple logs that could be turned in to features with a few strong backs
    • I have little reroute in mind that would work towards an eventual 2 mile loop that is coming together (about 1.75mi so far)
    • If we get some moisture on Wed maybe some dirt could be sculpted, there are few spots begging to be turned into proper berms
    • I'm curious what would happen if we took a few good whacks at one of those concrete footings that are everywhere...anyone have a big sledge hammer?
    • Tweak, tune, & fix existing features

I'll have a few spare tools but bring your own if you have them (string trimmers, blowers, rakes, shovels, saws). Bring your own bike.

XXX

September 20, 2023, 12:14 PM

I'm a new lover of The Burdocks and am planning to do some invasive plant work in the next couple of weeks (hopefully) before they drop all of their seeds.  Is there anyone out there who would be interested in joining me? So grateful for this neat trail system and the community that builds and maintains it!

XXX

September 20, 2023, 02:39 PM

I’d love to join you and could possibly rustle up an extra hand or two. I could possibly meet up as early as tonight after 5pm if you wanted to chat about your plans. If you do instagram, follow
    @the.burdocks.trails

« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 11:11 AM by brassnipples »

XXX

September 22, 2023, 11:07 AM

...and on a related note, a handful of community trail builders are going to be out there on Saturday 9/23 at 11am to work on a couple new tech features. Join us if you can, the more the merrier!

updates posted here

XXX

September 22, 2023, 01:38 PM

Oh nuts!  I'm out of town this weekend, but if there's a group working out there next weekend I'd love to join in.