•  

Bailing

Bin
    aka Ben

March 19, 2012, 02:44 PM

I rode the outback for the first time this weekend (the filter had scared me off up to that point).  It was a lot of fun and I made it cleanly through several of the TTFs but I was left wondering how people handle the higher stuff like the filter or the big tree ride.  Do you just not ride it unless you're 100% you'll make it to the end or is there a technique for bailing without needing med-evac?  I would guess being on platforms would help in that you could get off the bike faster if falling off the side but there's no way I could finish most of the climbs out there without being clipped in.  Surely folks don't come off the sides of those then just land flat on both wheels and ride off.

XXX

March 19, 2012, 03:01 PM

Its quite possible to bail and land fine even clipped in... but really youve just gotta go for it.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

XXX

March 19, 2012, 03:03 PM

I haven't tried the filter yet, I need someone to ride it first to get a visual of the flow and speed needed.  Did the big log ride for the first time last season, lot easier once up on it.  Don't bother asking guys like the Mayor or Rich, they roll over anything without fear.

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 19, 2012, 03:08 PM

Duck and cover  ;)

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 19, 2012, 03:15 PM

Seriously....there is no real bailing "technique."  You either clear it or you eat dirt and take your chances. 

IMHO Big Woody is just mentally intimidating, its actually quite easy if you just look straight ahead.  On the other hand, it took me most of last year to do the filter with any level of confidence.  The key to it is that when you lose momentum and feel like you are falling...don't try to unclip and "bail"---keep pedalling.  You really need to keep your momentum up on the filter.  It feels very counter-intuitive. 

The only other advise I can give you is to listen to Master Yoda.  "Try not.  Do or no not."  If you are approaching a feature and thinking about how you are going to bail, you are 90% likely to fall.  Focus on what you are doing.  If you fall, you fall.  You just have to accept that you may fall, and forget about it and concentrate on clearing the feature.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 19, 2012, 03:17 PM

Look where you want to go, not where you don't.

The wheelie drop is a good technique to have when it comes time to bail...

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 19, 2012, 03:20 PM

Also, there is one spot on the filter that you'll probably hang up if you have a large chainring.  That spot is easy to see as numerous others have hung up there and the damage to the wood is pretty obvious.

The largest ring I've got on either of my MTBs is a 36 tooth and I can roll the whole thing.  Except for the 2 little step-ups to get on it at least.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

March 19, 2012, 03:25 PM

I've got enough problems with people names so don't usually bother remembering feature names.

I go with flat pedals and dropped seat to cut down on injury and up success with riding.

I don't always get it but try the all important thing for skiing when trying features, air or drops - hesitation buys you nothing. Also like skiing you have to look where you're going vs where you're at. My success or epic failure is often tied to those two.

Tim you should join the summer time Tuesday play we do on west side because the mix of beginners and experts helps and it's a friendly bunch. That's weekly but same happens at the Cam Rock rides, other meetups.

:)

XXX

March 19, 2012, 03:31 PM

Very true about commitment and momentum.  The filter I don't need much speed maybe more than a brisk walking pace and you can roll onto it, give a couple strokes and your good, the hardest part is the beginning for me. 

In the outback maybe try and practice on the planks that are ground level to build some confidence and see where you have to look when riding on skinnies/log rides. 

When I think about falling is usually when I fall, lol.  With the giant log ride, its easier than it looks, once you get good at it you can even jump manual off the end of it!!!

XXX

March 24, 2012, 10:07 AM

Learn to track stand.  Makes riding stuff like that much easier if you can just stop and then re- balance then start going.  Also just pedal like a quarter crank at a time with one foot like ratchet style when on that stuff.  I love riding that stuff and that's really why I go to CR,  I will totally go and ride it with you if you want.  Or practice on urban stuff is great too, I spend a lot of time riding on curbs and ledges, even on the line in the road.

XXX
    JM

April 04, 2012, 09:40 AM

I rode the outback for the first time this weekend (the filter had scared me off up to that point).  It was a lot of fun and I made it cleanly through several of the TTFs but I was left wondering how people handle the higher stuff like the filter or the big tree ride.  Do you just not ride it unless you're 100% you'll make it to the end or is there a technique for bailing without needing med-evac?  I would guess being on platforms would help in that you could get off the bike faster if falling off the side but there's no way I could finish most of the climbs out there without being clipped in.  Surely folks don't come off the sides of those then just land flat on both wheels and ride off.

First and foremost you should be able to clean the filter or you should not be riding the outback. You should be confident in your bike handeling skills before you attempt any TTF, please remember not to walk around any of the filters as they are there to help you decide if you can make the rest of the expert trail. Platforms are the way to go if you want to ride tech stuff, you can get away from you bike faster than being clipped in it is also easier to take a foot off to counter balance. The "Fall zone" around  features are there to provide a landing that would hopefully be clear of stuff that would hurt you  if you fall,  BUT if you  land wrong it could a major problem. If you do fall try to relax,  ball up and  rollout the landing. But hey what do I know I always have something broken :o
    JM

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:08 PM by JM »

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

April 04, 2012, 10:13 AM

Why should you not be able to go around the filter into the outback when all the TTFs have ride arounds and signs warning that they are coming up?  The approach I took was to take a slow ride past each TTF and evaluate what skills that obstacle required and how that fits with my current abilities then decide if I was game for that feature or not.  Currently skinnies that are less more than a foot or 2 off the ground are not something I'm very comfortable with unless they are pretty straight and wide so things like that (filter included) I simply passed on.

I get that the filter is probably the hardest feature on the trail and that if you can clean that, you can probably clean anything out there but if people are expected to not try any of the other before getting over the filter, how will they ever work up to that level in the first place?

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

April 04, 2012, 10:29 AM

The thing we goofed on which makes the filter more threatening for a lot of people is the level of penalty.  It's probably the right level of technical challenge - and it is indeed tougher than anything else in there - but a filter is supposed to have low penalty so people can practice and learn before they go into an area with greater danger.  That filter is not low penalty.

That said, please leave it alone anyway, I love it 8)  But consider when we tell people "don't go in until you can ride this" you're making them practice in as much danger as the trail section itself.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

April 04, 2012, 10:48 AM

Why should you not be able to go around the filter into the outback when all the TTFs have ride arounds and signs warning that they are coming up? 

My approach as well.  If the Outback didn't have the ride arounds and was simply "if you can't ride this then turn around" we really wouldn't having anything bridging the gap from technical singletrack to TTF's.

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    JM

April 04, 2012, 10:48 AM

Incorrect, The filter to an expert area should mimic the hardest feature on the trail, the beginning of the filter should have a low penalty if you can not make the beginning then you have a low penallty. As the case with the filter to the outback.

As for the ride arounds, Those have been created by riders that technically should not be riding the outback as this is an expert area. Expert trails do not require a ride around( by pass), so features can be in the main trail with no "easy" way like we have built into intermediate and beginers trails.  We are working on skills areas so less experianced riders can pratice and develope skills to move on to the expert features. The main reason for the filter is to say" if you can't ride this you may not be able to handel the rest of the trail".
    Hope that helps
    JM

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:25 AM by JM »