•  

Work in the Outback, and parking lot climb thoughts

Q
    Bonner

April 03, 2012, 11:13 AM

Big thanks to the TTF crew for the recent berm work in the Outback. Rode a few laps this morning, and was really impressed with the much-improved flow. The big berm coming into the step-up is AMAZING! So much easier to keep speed, and now I can finally get some air off that thing and land flat or rear first. The connected berms after Big Woody are also a lot of fun.

Also, the re-routed climb back to the parking lot needs more work. Of course, it needs more tires across it, but it's quite bumpy, and the radius of several of the corners is just "off". Maybe this will get better with more traffic.

The new "difficult" downhill from the parking lot is fun, and will beat my hardtail up! The new "easy" downhill isn't all that easy, actually, but is switchback fun, for sure.

Good work, y'all! I had the entire park to myself this morning - not another soul around. I was hoping the rain would stay north, and it did. What a great place to ride!

XXX

April 03, 2012, 10:42 PM

I thought I read something about a berm before the step up.  Now I have to go ride it.  In my mind that was the biggest thing missing from the whole trail system.  That step up was retarded without a berm there.  Can't wait to ride it and thanks!

Also note to the ttf crew.  I finally got the logride at pleasantview.  I can now clean everything you've built forwards and backwards.  I'm out of progression!  All the wood is awesome, but, there are some of us who really need to be challenged!

XXX

April 04, 2012, 06:48 AM

I knew the climb back to the parking lot was pretty rough and bumpy when we started cleaning up on Saturday.  We just ran out of time to smooth things out. I never got a chance to ride it that day to see how well it flowed because of the muddy conditions.  I plan to be out there around 3:00 today for a ride and will get an idea of what changes can be made to make it enjoyable for everyone.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 04, 2012, 09:01 AM

I knew the climb back to the parking lot was pretty rough and bumpy when we started cleaning up on Saturday.  We just ran out of time to smooth things out. I never got a chance to ride it that day to see how well it flowed because of the muddy conditions.  I plan to be out there around 3:00 today for a ride and will get an idea of what changes can be made to make it enjoyable for everyone.
    Thom, don't sweat it. You and your crew did great work, and you were improvising and improving the trail based on what you found in the thick brush. All will be great improvements over time.

We got a ton of work done in the time we had with the people we had to do it. Trail Days are always a balance between getting lots of work done or doing a lot less and making it "polished". I have found large Trail Days are almost impossible for polish. I opted to bang out the new mileage and we would go back and polish later.

So Thom, or anyone else, if you get a chance to go out and fine tune the line and polish the surface, that is great. Otherwise it will be on the list the next Trail Day. Also on my list from the work started last weekend: We need to add a qualifier feature into the now Advanced downhill (keep beginners off of it), lots of benching to do on the new beginner downhill, evaluate the Inslope Turns for flow, buff the trail tread.

We have a long list of needs at CamRock and will work our way down it. But it will never get completed  ;) As always any help received means we get to more of the fun stuff on the list.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    JM

April 04, 2012, 09:30 AM

We ( The TTF crew) are glad you like the dirt work :)

XXX

April 06, 2012, 04:59 PM

Thank you, thank you thank you, nice berm!  That really really needed to be done!  Just made the trail that much more fun for me.  Thank you!

I can finally hit that little step up full bore.  I am still not landing where I would like to though and I had to jump it pretty hard to get where I did.  Maybe making it bigger and making a landing for it like a little hump that could be a roller in the alternate route, the backside could serve as a landing for the jump.  The jump is fun but still disrupts my flow when I slam down.

XXX

April 06, 2012, 05:39 PM

I was able to clear the step up perfectly yesterday, now you can carry so much speed with the berm in place, before it was hard your tires would slid out for the needed speed.  Very very fun