•  

Best filter for Expert downhill off Parking lot

You must be logged in to vote.
    Use the menu in the top right corner to log in or sign up to become a new user.

Poll

Best feature to filter riders while maintaining flow?

6" log-over. Ridden in stride by advanced riders.
    3 (15%)
    Multiple log ride. Up and over. Breaks flow.
    8 (40%)
    Step-up ladder ride. Ladder elevated say 12" off ground. Would need work to keep riders on trail. Flat area.
    1 (5%)
    12"-18" Drop Feature. Some call it a jump. Like the drops that were added to the trail farther down the hill.
    8 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed:
    April 13, 2012, 11:19 AM

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 06, 2012, 11:19 AM

At Saturdays Trail Day we put in a beginner downhill and upgraded the existing downhill from an Intermediate Trail to Expert. We need to add a filter for the downhill off the parking lot to keep less experienced riders from accidentally getting in over their heads. Yet I want to keep the flow of the trail.

I think an 8" log does the trick nicely. An advanced rider will hop it without breaking pace. And if you can't hop it this is a skill that should be developed. But I know some seem to have a strong dislike for them. I am not sure a drop will give the proper deterrence - like it should have a filter of it's own.

So vote away. Leave comments. I may add to the poll if better ideas come up. For reference we have about 30' of flat trail to work with as it curves around the big oak tree before the bowl.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

April 06, 2012, 11:52 AM

I'm not quite clear on the options.  Are these accurate?

a) a single 8" log laying across the trail
    b) a pile of logs across the trail (as opposed to multiple logs end to end that you ride the length of)
    c) a dirt step up jump onto an elevated ladder (similar to the old creek/ditch crossing at QR)

I think I have a and b correct but I'm less clear on c.

XXX
    selbig

April 06, 2012, 11:56 AM

I like the single log or multiple log idea. Only issue with an 8" log is many riders may stop and carry their bike over as a way to prevent bashing the big ring. That really disrupts flow. Maybe a log pile would be a better option.

XXX

April 06, 2012, 12:21 PM

Im with Bill, I would rather have multiple logs to get over.  My days of bunny hopping logs with no effort are coming to a close, and I would rather not get caught up on the bash.

~ Burn rubber

XXX

April 06, 2012, 04:54 PM

I think something similar to what's at the beginning of the expert area by gettin started, the two or three piles of logs you can roll over.  Honestly today the new beginner trail was harder to ride than the new expert one.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 06, 2012, 11:07 PM

OK. Trying to understand the comments on the new trails.
    Expert downhill: rock section, off-camber roller, jump with no bail out, a few more high speed jumps and roots on the way down. All high speed and no real option to bail out at any point.
    Beginner: a couple of lines on corners that keep your attention, but no real consequences if you fail anywhere on the trial. Sunday I took my 6 and 9 year old boys, and two 10 year old nephews down it twice with no problems. They loved it.
    I would not even think of taking them down the Expert Trail.
    What am I missing?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 07, 2012, 12:34 PM

You missed seeing me wipe out on the new beginner trail!

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 07, 2012, 03:18 PM

I'd go for option 4: Well marked or obvious signs and the trail squeezed to a no penalty drop. 

I think the first option describes a single log that can work with flow because you can hop it, or third could have that squeeze and no penalty drop. Either would get my vote, third if you can pump it and drop.

Squeeze to a log your ride lengthwise is another good option.

I don't buy a lot of what's said and done regarding filters because I don't know what filtering is done when the rider can walk or ride around. OTOH, many seeing what looks like a drop put on the brakes or give consideration. Thus the squeeze, drop or ride the log long.

Anything but another pile of logs to ride over. Piles of logs and flow don't go in the belong in the same sentence. Log piles are are up there with banging head on wall or active pursuit of a colonoscopy for sport and entertainment.

If you've ridden across the road at Raven, Marquette, or Kettles skills area you might have an idea of what I'm trying to describe as a no or low penalty drop.

:)

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 07, 2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the input William. I agree that a low penalty drop would be a good fit. It also would be along the lines of what is coming up on the trail. Making it a no-go-around area will as always be the challenge.

I also think a single log that can be hopped without breaking flow would work well. It is also a skill that all riders should have. We had to take our one log feature out for the WORS riders and their 8K bikes for the Battle of CamRock.

Not sure you were clear enough about your opinions of multiple-log ride-overs though ;D

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 07, 2012, 06:22 PM

I like williams idea of the drop thing.  I really think there is enough logs to hop over out there.  I don't even hop over them anymore (except the bigger ones that you have to) Those are not a favorite feature of mine and I think those break flow a lot too, the chain ring marks and sections of log missing are proof of that.  I just get tired of bunnyhopping all over the trail by the time I'm around.  I like the log piles cause you just roll over them and continue on.  I don't know what the drop thing exactly is but I like the sound of it.

XXX

April 07, 2012, 09:24 PM

A small drop is in line with the skill set required and would add to the flow rather than detract.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 07, 2012, 09:34 PM

A small drop is in line with the skill set required and would add to the flow rather than detract.
    Agreed. I have added this as another option. New ideas are why I started this thread. Thanks for the input.

If you have voted already you will now have the ability to go back and change your vote if you wish. I did.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 08, 2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the input William. I agree that a low penalty drop would be a good fit. It also would be along the lines of what is coming up on the trail. Making it a no-go-around area will as always be the challenge.

I also think a single log that can be hopped without breaking flow would work well. It is also a skill that all riders should have. We had to take our one log feature out for the WORS riders and their 8K bikes for the Battle of CamRock.

Not sure you were clear enough about your opinions of multiple-log ride-overs though ;D

I didn't say it's not a skill! I'm just a hedonist and always hoping an effort with muscles can also get that anti-gravity feeling or high g forces. I'm sure the skier area of your brain knows sort of grin I'm trying to describe!

The fine line or really getting it nailed here is something that's another smile for the reasonably skilled rider and something that will cause thought pause for others.

:)

XXX
    JM

April 09, 2012, 08:46 AM

How about the TTF crew go out and design the correct filter?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 09, 2012, 09:01 AM

If you guys have time in your schedule John I am all for it! Prolly should have sent this direction first. Still need to get used to the new way of operating. And definition of where the separation is. The changes to the trail began as needs to control water and erosion issues.

Let me know and I will lend a hand if I am available. I would like to get something in there sooner rather than later as the trail is already open. Depending on your time-frame, I may put something in there temporarily.

~ Chuck Hutchens