•  

Update on spring work

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

April 22, 2012, 08:04 PM

Here's what has been done so far in 2012:

-The beginner section, Chert Dip, Serpentine Climb, and the first 3/4 mile of Holy Schist have been walked. We've cleared dead fall (branches up to big trees) and cut drainage channels in wet places where practical.

-We filled a persistent mud hole at the end of the beginner section, and re-set the rocks at the first crossing below the trail head.

-The new map/markers have been installed in the beginner and intermediate sections of trail. The park manager has been provided with a master map showing verified GPS coordinates for the markers.

-I supplied the DNR with a list of projects I would like to accomplish in the next few years. My priorities are, in order:
                -Finish Pokerville
                -Reroute Holy Schist between the "Two Stupid" rock feature and the last major reroute.
                -Reroute the descent to the bridge in Over Lode.
                -Other trail improvements on a case-by-case basis.

Because we're waiting on permission for new trail projects, I'm focusing on improvements to some of the older parts of the trail. The excellent result we got for the mud hole repair on the beginner section last weekend leads me to the possibility that some of the badly eroded, water collecting trail in that area could be improved by filling the current trail (think wet ditch) with rock and gravel.

I want to try this with a short section of trail this spring and see how it performs. The best candidates that come to my mind are both on the beginner section, each just before the two gravel trail crossings.

Walt