•  

Missing riding blue mound

blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

May 07, 2012, 11:16 AM

I've mostly been able to hit fast and flowy or at least mostly smooth rolling singletrack this spring.  Fast, fun....but it leaves one missing the tougher more technical riding in our own backyard....I'm missing the rocks that made me fall in love with my sport - specifically Blue Mound.  How far did the recent rains set us back at blue mound?  We need to get some riding going out there!

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX
    The_Aaron
    Victory!

May 07, 2012, 01:04 PM

Hey now, you're lucky you've been out at all!  :P  I haven't been able to MTB yet this season!  I'd even look forward to Badger Prairie at this point...geez. 

~ C'mon, lets go for a whirl

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

May 07, 2012, 02:59 PM

Kevin asked my opinion about when to open a while back. I think we agreed that it would be at least mid-May, maybe later. A week without rain would help matters a lot. What he's looking for is something to tell the riders who keep calling and asking if not now, when? It's hard to offer anything definitive, but the trails there never seem to firm up before the trees leaf out. Cause and effect? Maybe.

FWIW, he told me the DNR had decided to open the trails for snow biking next year. I think this applies to all state parks. Sounds like the bike trails at Blue Mound may be closed to everyone from March to mid-May. This would include hikers.

Sorry the nice weather didn't translate into an early opening. We're taking the opportunity that comes from not having approval for new construction and fixing some of the beginner section. We're digging out black silt type dirt which has no strength when wet, and replacing it with gravel.

Walt

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

May 07, 2012, 03:12 PM

Yeah. Kind of puts my "problems" with wet trails in perspective. But still.....

The not early start is understandable. If you weren't dry by the end of March you did not improve in April. First time in history that April was colder than March. And soil temperatures were 4 degrees colder at the end of April versus at the end of March :o

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

May 07, 2012, 08:35 PM

I walked the first half mile of Overlode on Saturday.  The beginning was muddy, the rest was pretty tacky.  This was before the rain we got on Sunday.

The forecast is starting to look better over the next 10 days.  I'm certainly with you on wanting to get out there and ride.