•  

New Member/Trail Work

July 06, 2012, 01:58 PM

Hey All,

My name is Zach, I'm a new member to CORP.  I've been mountain biking for a long time, but finally decided I needed to start getting more involved in advocacy and trail work.    I ride at Blue Mounds fairly regularly, and was wondering what the protocol is for doing trail work/cleanup--by the way, thanks to everyone that has been doing work so far.  I was just out there on Wednesday, and there is a tree down on Overlode a couple miles in.  Can I just take a saw in and start cutting, or do I need to clear it with someone on here, or check in with the ranger?   Are there any planned work times for Blue Mounds coming up, or do people just do it as needed/when they have time?   

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you other CORP members at future events.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 06, 2012, 03:58 PM

Hi Zach,

CORP has scheduled work days for each trail system late April - June. I usually don't post when I'm working non-scheduled days mostly because it's easier not to have to think ahead long enough to make it useful to anyone else. I can make time to get you going on something if you want.

The Dept. of Natural Resources would like to have you fill out and drop off the attached form at the office at the park entrance before you do volunteer work. You can tell them you are with CORP for this purpose even if you aren't a member. I think you are supposed to list "Kevin Swenson" as the volunteer supervisor. If not, it's me. Leave the dates for scheduling of work blank.

You can do basic maintenance at Blue Mound without the park management or my permission. I would appreciate a post from you on the forum or add to the worklog (tab on main page) so I don't waste time hiking out to take care of something that's already been done.

Basic maintenance means manual saws, and no reroutes. Don't remove embedded rocks or roots to make the trail easier without checking with me first. Anything laying loose on the trail can be removed.

I will cut the trees in question soon if you don't get there first, I've been busy with cutting back the trailside plant growth (not weeds).

Thanks for your interest.

Walt

[attachment deleted by admin]