•  

Confidence for jumps and drops

Colin519

November 10, 2012, 01:51 AM

Hey I really would like to work on my confidence for jumps but I am rather scared of what might happen.  It is a mind game for me and as of right now I am not all the comfortable with jumps, but I would like to know how I can be ?

I have been riding (really riding) mountain bikes for 4 years now and I enjoy the small drop, and medium drop (now with ramp) at QR but in the downhill section there are 3 jumps that I would really like to be able to do.

Now for BH in there downhill section I always ride by the jumps b/c well they are big and I feel like if I were to go off them I wouldnt make the gap.  And I know it is a mental game... but I just cant get over it.

What can I do to help myself with these jumps and drops ?

XXX

November 10, 2012, 08:01 AM

It is a mental game and practice will bring confidence.  Start small with the jumps and creep up bigger, do the same jumps over and over until you think you could do them with your eyes closed.  After you are comfortable with jumping these home base jumps start to tweek a little.

Try building some small jumps over grass with gradual lips somewhere close to your house, do them often.  I used to build them out of wood and drag them out for a session.  Get dialed in with flat pedals and wear soccer shin guards!  Put a nut guard on your top tube, like pipe insulation.  Tape it on.  Lower you seat.  I used to wear a cup when I went big and for downhill, you can't ride long distances with one in. Jumping in clips is easier, but less forgiving.

Take your small wooden ramp to a small hill and practice landing down this slight hill (over grass).  Vary you speed and gearing.  You will do this so many times you will feel like the champ.  Next find a small table top jump and work towards making the down landing.  Table tops are great because you start small and there are no consequences for coming up short, you just land on top.

Well constructed gap jumps are hard to come up short on, like those at Blackhawk.  If the gap is a bike length or so you don't have to go very fast to make it... watch a few people hit them at slow speeds and see.  For now, stay away from ones with steep lips or long gaps like the one at the base of QRidge.  The bigger quarry park ones can be unforgiving too, hold off on those.  They aren't crazy hard, but require comitment and practice to hit.  Steep lip jumps feel different than ramps.

Some where down the line you will just have a feel for hitting jumps.  You will just be able to look at them and know how it will feel and how much speed will be needed.  Start small and practice often.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

November 10, 2012, 08:32 AM

What can I do to help myself with these jumps and drops ?

You can join the efforts to make a good skills progression where we have trails. The budgets and permission are there. Doing the work within a best practices framework is the only requirement.

Improved design, quality and organization will have to happen if gravity riders don't want their work closed and plowed into the ground.  Land and risk managers can't accept unfinished business and are wanting things done much like or same as statutes and risk management require in ski areas and skate parks.

This year's pretty much done. I'm still without enough help to fix this year's issues. Hopefully we'll get farther with the plans for Blackhawk next year. We have finished phase one of a neat new part at the bike park.

For me the little sister at QR is a confidence booster.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:34 AM by imwjl »

XXX

November 10, 2012, 04:36 PM

I just picked up a DJ bike about a month ago and have been practicing jumps, rollers, and manuals at PV. Sometimes you just have to hit it. It took me forever before I hit the big jump line with any sort of speed. And you will most likely either have to bail or crash a few times, but it helps you know where you went wrong too!

XXX
    Colin519

November 15, 2012, 11:51 PM

I saw Tom H tonight at QR and he helped me on the three jumps down the downhill section and I feel a little better but teaching myself to only brake with one finger apposed to two is going to take some TIME, also worked on speed and staying looser on my bike and not being a stiff board.

But what I need to do is take an hour or so and just hit the same line of drops or jumps 20x and then repeat...

:o

And then repeat again.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

November 16, 2012, 10:32 AM

I'm still no pro at jumps but I did find that investing in a full face helmet helped the mind game for me.

XXX
    Colin519

November 16, 2012, 07:34 PM

I already ride with a full face.

It has helped me a little more, in the protection category.

XXX

November 17, 2012, 08:19 PM

II did this a year ago.  I've always been ok hucking off staricaises.  On dirt though this made it better.

Ride a pump track a whole bunch and you'll get the right body placement for going up and down the take off and landing.

Just go a little faster each time and eventually you'll be doing it.

Bike geometry helps.  Short stem makes a huge dif., slammed seat, and flat pedals.  Pads and big helmet not a bad idea.  Following someone helps a crap load at first cause you just follow them and don't even look at the jump.

Good practice spot for drops and jumps is in the sandy bowl at quarry ridge.  Fun and soft landings.