•  

Wheels, rims, spokes, and wheel building

June 03, 2013, 01:57 PM

I know very little about these things, and I have need of a new rear wheel for my All Mountain bike. I'm a little wary of buying used wheels for something that needs to take a decent amount of abuse, so I'm wondering if I can just buy a new rim and lace up the wheel myself, but I have some questions:

1) Can I just replace the rim and lace it with the existing spokes and hub?
    2) Is it worth it to buy rim, hub, and spokes and build the wheel myself or just buy a pre-built one?
    3) If I get said parts, is there anyone in CORP who is a good wheel builder?

Thanks in advance!

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

June 03, 2013, 02:03 PM

Some answers...

1) Maybe.  If you want to re-use the hub that's generally fine.  Unless the hub is worn out or compromised too.  I'd plan on buying new spokes and nipples though unless you're using a new rim that's exactly the same as the old rim.  Even then, I'd plan on new nipples for sure.

2) I think it's worth it...I like to spec all the parts.

3) I'd call myself a competent wheel builder.

XXX

June 03, 2013, 02:06 PM

Rim swaps are pretty easy to do as long as the new rim is exactly the same size as the old so it's best if you just use the same exact rim.  All you have to do is tape the rims together so that the valve stem holes are lined up and then move each spoke to it's corresponding hole on the other side.  If the old wheel was built properly (evenly tensioned) then your spokes should not be fatigued appreciably but keep an eye out for any that may have gouges in them and replace them during the process.

The part that takes some care is getting the wheel back up to an even tension, there are many sites that explain this process.

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 20, 2013, 10:27 AM

I worked as a bike mechanic for 16 years. I have lost count of how many wheels I've built. I would never reuse old spokes or nipples. I have no problems with reusing an old hub as long as it is in good condition and is good quality. I prefer sealed cartridge bearing hubs. Cartridge bearings are easy to replace (usually.) throw in a new set of cartridge bearings, new spokes, new nipples. I much prefer brass nipples for a hardcore rig or a heavier weight rider. It would be ok to replace the old rim with the same rim as long as it's not a crappy rim in the first place. Might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a burlier rim. Otherwise Wheelsmith has a spoke length calculator. You just measure the hub and the new rim and it tells you what length spokes to buy.