•  

Where to buy/try bikes?

May 24, 2012, 04:05 PM

I'm going to be in the market, some day, for a new bike and I have no clue what the best way to go about finding and buying one is. I know I could just go to all the bike shops in Madison and look for one that's nice, but is there a better way? Also, any places I can rent or trial ride some bikes that aren't readily available in shops?

Thanks!

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

May 24, 2012, 04:16 PM

I'm going to be in the market, some day, for a new bike and I have no clue what the best way to go about finding and buying one is. I know I could just go to all the bike shops in Madison and look for one that's nice, but is there a better way? Also, any places I can rent or trial ride some bikes that aren't readily available in shops?

Thanks!

The bike shop at LaGrange (nearest to John Muir trails at Kettle Moraine) rents some decent bikes and sells their rentals at the end of the year. I'm not certain what models they carry currently, but they used to have Fisher and Niner and possibly Trek.

Walt

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

May 24, 2012, 04:18 PM

Backyard Bikes is the name of the shop that Walt refers to.  They have some demos.  Trek and Niner I think.

Erik's on the West side used to have Specialized demos...not sure of the current status.

Cam-Rock sport seems to have rentals of a few Giant models.

Another strategy is to follow the manufacturer's travelling demos.  In know Trek has been at Cam-Rock, and HPT in LaCrosse before.

You could also probably try other club member's bikes out at the group rides.  I'm always willing to let people try my bikes out.  Assuming you don't destroy anything in the process ;).

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:21 PM by Nate Woolever »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

May 24, 2012, 04:51 PM

Hard to beat CamRock Sport I would think. http://www.facebook.com/CamRockSport

Get a demo bike there. Ride out the door and onto the trails and test it out. If you don't like it ride back to the store and try another model, size, etc. Give it another go. Rinse and repeat. Current lineup is some nice high end Giant models as well as Orbea. Both hard and soft tail.

Talked to a guy doing that very thing today. He was having a great time 8)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

May 25, 2012, 12:31 PM

Any idea what their rental price is?  I'd be curious to try a bike with shifters and maybe even rear suspension out there.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

May 25, 2012, 01:37 PM

Check their website or give a call. But I think it is something like 45 for full day of hardtail. 65 for full Susser high end 29er? I have heard of them doing 1/2 days as well.
    BTW: those Giant Anthems are a very sweet ride. Very quick and responsive.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

May 26, 2012, 03:32 AM

I for one am most impressed with camrock sport simply for its prescence. Nicely appointed with food and beverage, (I would guess over 50 labels of beer available by the bottle), as well as knowledgeable bike repair (albeit parts availability, which should improve with time) and a nice fleet of rental bikes at the ready to satisfy most needs and curiosities. Hell, if I took my kids to Disney I would pay extra if I could plop Mom and Kids down in some comfy place while I rented a full suspension and had access to the wide array of trails available at Cam Rock Park. I hope they can grow into a solid element and forsee them as a model of what every destination MTB trail system needs as a support hub for all the needs of the Mountain Bike community, from beginner to enthusiast, and even something for the self proclaimed expert. If you visit Camrock, you would do all a diservice not to stop in there.

XXX

June 05, 2012, 09:23 AM

Get a demo bike there. Ride out the door and onto the trails and test it out. If you don't like it ride back to the store and try another model, size, etc. Give it another go. Rinse and repeat. Current lineup is some nice high end Giant models as well as Orbea. Both hard and soft tail.

Considering I trashed a rim this Sunday in Wausau, I'm speeding up my bike shopping. With that said, I think this weekend I'll head out to CamRock Sport and try out some bikes! The bike shops are all trying to sell me on a 29er but I'm still iffy so that's on my list to check out.

Thanks for all the great suggestions too.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

June 05, 2012, 09:50 AM

The bike shops are all trying to sell me on a 29er but I'm still iffy so that's on my list to check out.

Why?  Just curious as to what your reasons are.

If I recall correctly, you're a fairly tall guy.  29ers deserve to be in the running at least...especially since you have the opportunity to get one out on the trails from Cam-Rock Sport.

29er hardtails are hard to beat for this area.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

June 05, 2012, 10:33 AM

Considering I trashed a rim this Sunday in Wausau, I'm speeding up my bike shopping. With that said, I think this weekend I'll head out to CamRock Sport and try out some bikes! The bike shops are all trying to sell me on a 29er but I'm still iffy so that's on my list to check out.

Thanks for all the great suggestions too.

This might show you that 29r doesn't mean cross country racing.

You can split the difference with a 650B too!

If your concern bike park time or pure playing around a cheap hard tail is an option. Yeah, it was an expense but I'm very glad I have a little hard tail for play and a bike for trail because I love doing both.

Erik's and Trek Stores have had demos and same for the shop by Kettles trails.The Backyard Bikes shop had both wheel sizes and my wife's favorites have been the the Fuel EX models - she's 5'10". I can't say why she likes them more than the Fishers and I'm not going to argue with a happy wife enjoying a trail ride.

XXX

June 05, 2012, 12:52 PM

The bike shops are all trying to sell me on a 29er but I'm still iffy so that's on my list to check out.

Why?  Just curious as to what your reasons are.

If I recall correctly, you're a fairly tall guy.  29ers deserve to be in the running at least...especially since you have the opportunity to get one out on the trails from Cam-Rock Sport.

29er hardtails are hard to beat for this area.

I'm not saying I'm counting them out. I only had a chance to do a quick ride around the parking lot at Trek with a Cobia and another 29er, can't remember the brand, at Budget used (bike was new though). It just felt weird being on that big of bike, but I'm sure that's mostly because it's different. I think a hardtail is probably what I'll end up with since that fits my current price point. But I'm still not sure if I'm a cross country guy or a downhill guy or a bit of both, so I still want something that's versatile.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

June 05, 2012, 02:42 PM

But I'm still not sure if I'm a cross country guy or a downhill guy or a bit of both, so I still want something that's versatile.

There are bikes known as good for both and some of the CORP posse has or had them. I'm pretty sure Richard still has a Chameleon and Alex had one of those as well as a TransAm. Latter now comes in 26 and 29 wheel size. Wes has the predecessor to the TransAm had I've seen it at Cam Rock and Blue Mound as much as I did at Blackhawk and Bike Park. Tim S rides a Diamondback that's got low stand over but works for the park.

XXX

June 05, 2012, 06:51 PM

I ride both a 29er full suspension and a Trek 69er - the 69er I find to be a really nice blend on the local trails such as QR and CR 3.  Quick on the uphills and roll over ability of the 29er wheel on the front, pretty cool and the price was right :D

~ Burn rubber