•  

How to get over the CORP log at Camrock on a 26er

Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

June 06, 2012, 04:32 PM

Serious question.  I am sure some newbs have it as well.

I can get over the CORP log on my 29er pretty well, but have never been able to do it on my 26....the back tire always gets jammed up against the log and I fall sideways into the brush or face plant.  Or, I loft my front early, then push down to unweight the back when I make log contact and promptly go OTB and face plant.  what is the trick to this infamous obstacle?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

June 06, 2012, 05:26 PM

Serious question.  I am sure some newbs have it as well.

I can get over the CORP log on my 29er pretty well, but have never been able to do it on my 26....the back tire always gets jammed up against the log and I fall sideways into the brush or face plant.  Or, I loft my front early, then push down to unweight the back when I make log contact and promptly go OTB and face plant.  what is the trick to this infamous obstacle?

I think most of your answers are in these past threads or the debates about flat pedals.

http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?topic=332.0

I only wear my feet belts part-time and rare occasions but even with them it's the motions that work with flats that spare me the crashes with my feet belts.

Don't ditch your cleats if that's the edge you need for racing but try flats so you can bail easier when learning and get that hard to describe feeling when the bike can go over stuff and airborne sans-cleats. Basically even with cleats if I've got the feeling I know will work without them I don't crash as much.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 06, 2012, 06:32 PM

I don't do the fancy bunny hop method the folks on the previous mentioned link espouse to. That is simply a skill I do not have, and have not found enough usefulness in it to take the time to learn. Someone would need to explain to me a feature that is available somewhere that I ride where I need to know it. I have not yet found it, thus the reason I have not taken the time to learn this skill. Though I must admit it looks cool to watch folks who do it well. I also do not go around hopping up on picnic tables. I just ride trails. I do hop anything under 9" by using the techniques describes as not a bunny hop. But being clipped in sure works well for that.

This is the reason I have a bash guard on all my mountain bikes. I assume we are talking about big logs here like the CORP log.  I simply ride up to the log. I ride a wheelie to get the front up to the top. Set the wheel down and basically ride over the log. The pedal stroke will come down on the log and lift the back end up and over. This works on rocks as well as logs. I have actually found that on rocks it lifts your back tire up onto the rock where it would have spun out otherwise. It can also be done at very slow speeds. Like basically stopped. Mostly I am thinking of rocks at Blue Mounds that this comes in handy. There is one at the top of a climb in Holy Schist that is a real challenge and I like to ride over it. Just for the challenge.

Anyway, while coming up to the log or rock I usually set my pedal stroke so that my strong leg will be up (ready to pedal) when the front wheel is on/over the log. This means pushing with the other leg to wheelie the bike. Then pedal up and over. But you can use whatever leg you are comfortable with. I use either if the situation does not allow perfect set up. Like grinding up a huge climb to a rock at Blue Mound ;)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

June 06, 2012, 11:12 PM

Thanks Chuck....i think my problem is that I have been going at it too fast

XXX

June 07, 2012, 02:45 AM

Practice.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:58 AM by Tim S »

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

June 07, 2012, 06:35 AM

Thanks Chuck....i think my problem is that I have been going at it too fast

I assume the bash guard Chuck mentioned, recently rode my daugher's bike without and that makes a difference too.

XXX

July 17, 2012, 05:54 PM

Tim, I usually use speed to my advantage on the CORP log. When you get to the log, pull up hard, then thrust the handlebar forward, which lifts the rear of the bike up just like a bunny-hop. I can show you if we ride together soon. I like to session the features, that's pretty much why I ride mountain bikes.

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 17, 2012, 10:43 PM

I'd put 700c wheels on your 26" bike.

~ i like social d