•  

Wild Poison Parsnip ??? & the over growth!

June 30, 2016, 10:25 AM

We all know the trails are over grown and bad blind spots for collisions.  But riding with a friend a week ago.. what i thought was Golden Rod.. my friend pointed out may be Wild Poison Parsnip.  If this is the case someone who is knowledgeable about this plant should check the trails.  If there is Wild Parsnip on the trails people could end up with serious burning of the skin contacting this wild flower.  Its yellow in color and looks very similar to golden rod.  Often found in roadside ditches and bike paths.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:33 AM by MadKona »

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 30, 2016, 11:17 AM

The trails are not overgrown and full of blind spots since the Tuesday work session. Wild Parsnip and poison ivy are all over and all the trail workers make efforts to manage the problem. As said, Pleasant View had a significant haircut this week.

The 3 regular MTB riders in my house all got some poison ivy and wild parsnip spots at other trails in the area even though crews did their best to manage things. I got both on the Kettles connector two weeks ago.

On blind spots, the city is ordering more two-way signs and other signs because the major trail expansion is wrapping up. The first two lines on the city's park rules sign are:

-Ride at your own risk.
    -Helmets, pads and other protection are recommended.

We'll be doing more work, and more volunteers are welcome. We need growth in sleeves rolled up volunteers to match success with trail building and fundraising. Trimmers, sign putter uppers, trail finishers, marketers, video editors, writers - all are wanted and welcome.

Thanks!

XXX

July 02, 2016, 09:04 AM

I can help on weekends.  Unfortunately Tuesday and weeknights conflict with my schedule.