•  

DirtSmart MTB - Does have any feedback on this mtb course?

July 11, 2016, 08:58 PM

We are considering taking a weekend course from Andy Winohradsky, who runs DirtSmart MTB. Has anyone taken a class from him? If so, would you recommend the course/was the class worth it? Any other feedback would be appreciated. 
    Thank you.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 12, 2016, 08:19 AM

No opinions here. I don't recall hearing of this organization before. Reviews on mtbr?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

August 08, 2016, 09:11 PM

He has a clinic scheduled in Madison on September 10th and 11th. I would highly recommend the class, which was incredible!

The instructor, Andy Winohradsky, is a former instructor with Better Ride, but now runs his own company, Dirtsmart MTB. He uses a building block teaching approach… get the basics down in order to become a better biker, to reduce the chance of injury, and to go faster.

His demos were clear, verbal instruction concise, plus he gave good common sense answers. As a bonus, he truly interested in us leaving the class satisfied. 

Key topics covered were the basic athletic position for climbing and descending, how the brain and eyes work while mountain biking, cornering, braking, peddle wheelies, manuals, jhops, and switchbacks.

He is a former downhill pro racer, and has been involved in the bike industry for many years, in many roles. His website:  http://www.dirtsmartmtb.com/

I share the same praise as this review from a biker in the Twin Cities:   https://www.skinnyski.com/training/display.asp?Id=36471

XXX

September 07, 2016, 09:20 AM

I spent some time yesterday with Andy, doing what is approximately his first day of a two-day camp. 

So first, thanks Pgran for starting this thread!  And second, I'd like to point out that while this thread is in the 'Beginners' section, Andy's clinic will help riders of all abilities.  I came into the clinic having many years of racing WORS comp under my belt (where I've always thought my fitness holds me back more than my technical ability), and I feel like I learned a ton of technique.

Some of the topics covered, such as body position, felt awkward, and will take some time to adopt and utilize.  I could at least understand the 'why' behind them, though, as Andy gave great explanations.  However, there were some techniques covered where I instantly felt the benefit (and was instantly was happy I took the class).  It was a true 'WOW!' moment as I rolled down the trail.

He mentioned he'd be back to Madison at some point, so I'd definitely recommend his clinic.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

September 07, 2016, 11:37 AM

Some of us have hoped he would or will make a contribution to CORP as other clinic leaders have.

I would believe a clinic could be very helpful for racing. I've volunteered at the races many more times than I've tried them and have been amazed by the huge spread in bike skills. If you have the right volunteer spot it's crazy to see the split between racers who really stick their tires, pump or go over something with grace and people pedaling crazy hard and on brink of or just over the line for losing it. If you're at the right spot you see what has to end up as a seconds or minutes difference.

It would also be nice if the clinic teaches rules of the road. This season I've had some experiences with and reports of riders not respecting the uphill right away. Most all the riders get along well and spreading that knowledge could help keep everyone cool headed and safe.

Good luck and happy skills!

XXX

September 12, 2016, 03:36 PM

I'm so sad!  I didn't find this thread til today.  If he comes back, I think I'd have some interest in this too.

~ Singlespeed - Its all about the motor, not the transmission