•  

Volunteers needed ASAP!

April 15, 2015, 08:29 PM

We need one or more volunteers who have availability during the day to help guide our machine operator on the new trail. In order to provide a quality trail it would help if this person or persons had experience building trail (berms, rollers, eye for grade, etc).

Please contact myself or William Lorman if you can help out!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 15, 2015, 09:24 PM

When are you needing the help?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 16, 2015, 07:51 AM

As early as tomorrow (Friday) would be wonderful, but otherwise we will continue as long as there's trail to be cut next week as far as I know.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 16, 2015, 08:07 AM

We’ve got the gift of labor and machines but the city staff working to help us get ahead are not experienced trail builders or riders. This makes some guidance and supervision very important. I’ll be there again for a short while this AM but Aaron and I at the limits of what our day jobs will allow right now.

The new wrinkle _and_ gift is land manager Penni getting us 8 hours of a parks and forestry crew in addition to the machine work. We'll surely get more out of that if a member of our community can be with them. Someone aware of and who can keep an eye on the trail building basics would be great. Examples follow.

https://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building/10-most-common-trailbuilding-mistakes

Thanks for any help and understanding of this unusual scenario.

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

April 17, 2015, 08:24 AM

I would like to help with this project as I work across the street from PV and live close by.  I dont have a ton of experience but could possibly be able to come out during the week and after work as well.  Send me a PM and we can discuss further.

ron

~ crushing it

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 17, 2015, 08:39 AM

I could lend a hand for a day next week. Let me know when, or if anyone is coming out we can talk at the work day Saturday. I could also work with someone less experienced in trail building to teach them the principles we need to follow for fun and sustainable trails.

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:41 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 17, 2015, 10:17 AM

For those unaware, the city is doing all possible to clear and rough in corridor, build crossings, and rough cut bench in steep areas. These are all forestry, parks, and landscaping pros but not riders so our supervision is vital. Our land manager Penni is hoping the May 16 work day will be just finish work and end with a few miles of new single track riding.

Thursday is our approximate target (weather) for an unskilled labor crew to assist. We need some leadership when we have the inexperienced crew helping us.

One more piece of the puzzle: Their mower operator thinks careful aim of the brush mower on skid steer can bust the sod and ease the work of getting trail tread for a mile or so of open trail in the restored prairie areas. Someone who rides a MTB guiding this will be important. Imagine a mile of finish work vs a mile of busting sod.

In consideration: Renting a 2000 - 2500 lb mini ex to start cutting more in the very steep stuff, and some of the open areas described above. The city's machine is a relatively large JD 35D 8000 pound machine. This mower stuff may or could be a different day.

It will be really sweet if we can take advantage of all this help and get this completed on the scheduled work day because our other sites have a lot going on. Oh, a few miles of new single track will be nice too.

Thank you.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 18, 2015, 12:28 AM

Keep me in the loop William. A good chance I could help at least a part of the day.

~ Chuck Hutchens