•  

Steel Frame Work

Bin
    aka Ben

September 26, 2013, 09:56 AM

After looking at a lot of options for a new frame I am now considering trying to modify my current steel frame to be more of what I want.  Does anyone here have the equipment and skills to do bike frame work or do you know of any local frame builders I could get in touch with?  I'm basically thinking I would need to replace the chainstays and put on a set of paragon sliding dropouts. 

Obviously buying a new frame is easier, but if the price would be close I like the idea of customization rather than replacement.

XXX

September 26, 2013, 11:59 AM

PM me........

I have the torch, flux, LFB filler...............everything! I love this type of work. I started brazing my own frame last year, but home ownership kind got in the way.

I'd love to help with this smaller project!

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

September 30, 2013, 09:42 AM

PM sent last week.  Let me know if you didn't get it.

I also did some reading over the weekend about dimpling chainstays to get more tire clearance.  Looks like the process is pretty straight forward so that may be step #1.  If that succeeds then it becomes a pretty straight forward dropout replacement rather than a rear triangle rebuild.

XXX

September 30, 2013, 12:19 PM

Yeah, I got it, was busy at that time. I'd still like to get together and look at what you'd like to do. Evenings during the week are best for me.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

February 10, 2014, 11:13 AM

So I finally got around to dimpling my chainstays for extra tire clearance this weekend.  I think it went well, but I guess we'll see for sure in the spring if they snap in 2 or not.

The process itself was pretty simple, I made a caul from scrap wood that roughly matched the profile of the outside of the chainstay and lined it with cork  on the inside I had a piece of walnut dowel that I sanded the ends round.  I taped the dowel to the area I wanted to dimple then put the caul on the outside and smashed the 2 together slowly with a big pipe clamp.  I did have some issue with the dowel slipping so I had to periodically unclamp everything and adjust but in the end I came out with what I think look like some pretty nice dents that leave room for 2.25" wide trailbear tires even with the wheel all the way forward in the track ends.  With a good wheel truing I might be able to get 2.5" tires in there if the side knobs aren't too aggressive but for now I'm happy just crossing the 2" mark since the trailbears are the widest tires I currently own.

I think this change pared with the stan's no tubes kit I got for christmas  should make my traction a whole lot better and hopefully make my flats a lot fewer this summer. 

Ideally I would still like to weld some sliders in place of the track ends but that will have to wait until I am sure I didn't wreck the frame with my amateur dimpling procedure.

XXX

February 13, 2014, 12:13 PM

Sounds like you did a methodical job. I'd like to see the results.

Remember, you can always trim knobs from tires to get more clearance.

XXX

October 29, 2014, 12:27 PM

Does anyone here have the equipment and skills to do bike frame work or do you know of any local frame builders I could get in touch with?

(Not trying to be the guy that revives a dead thread  :o)

Another option for anyone else who might need to-do work like this:
    Sector67 has the equipment and at least one person I met, Jesse(sp), where that's all he does is custom bike work.
    http://www.sector67.org/blog/