•  

Blue Mounds Winter Trail Conditions

January 23, 2015, 08:02 AM

Got out last night, I was the first tracks on it since the last snow. The trail is in great shape, smooth surface 1" of soft snow on the top, decent traction. I did the complete loop in 1:05.

With the heavy tree cover at Blue Mounds and the fact that the majority of the trail is on the east and the north side of the mound, the trail surface usually holds up well.

Weekend temps look to be on the edge of freezing, but the with the cloud cover the trail - should be/might be - in good shape early Saturday (possibly only early) and if the forecast holds might be good all day Sunday.  This is only an educated guess, keep an eye on the temps and the sun, but we might have some opportunities for great biking this weekend.

If you do head out please post, it's nice for others to know that it's worth the trip over here for some great winter biking

XXX

January 23, 2015, 10:24 AM

Which loop did you do? I may be heading out tomorrow early.

XXX

January 23, 2015, 03:10 PM

I did the "winter loop"? parking lot to chert dip to holy schist and then home stretch to the parking lot.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

January 23, 2015, 06:21 PM

Hoping to get out sunday morning if it doesn't snow too much. Planning on doing the "winter loop" out and back.  :)

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 23, 2015, 07:25 PM

Went "backwards" around the mound today. Homestretch to Holy Schist to Chert Dip to pool. It was 36 degrees and cloudy this afternoon and the trail surface was great.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 23, 2015, 07:34 PM

Even did it on my "skinny" fat wheel set. 45mm rims and 4.0" tires. Worked great.

XXX

January 25, 2015, 10:47 AM

Went out this morning, trail is almost perfect.

This will not last, Fat Bike conditions change quickly, go ride now!  :)

XXX

January 25, 2015, 03:05 PM

is anyone riding in Overload?

XXX

January 25, 2015, 04:10 PM

I don't think there are any tracks or packing over there. Might be some snowshoe trails, but with out us getting out before them it's doubtful they follow the mtb trail

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 25, 2015, 04:34 PM

I saw one bike track from Ryan Rd (from the car) near that crossing quit some time ago...haven't been over there lately

XXX

January 25, 2015, 06:44 PM

I rode overload 2 weeks ago.  Only one other bike track on it at the time. Some footprints too. It was rideable on thecflatscand downhills, not the climbs. At the time I was thinking just 2-3 snowshoe tracks would have packed it in enough to make it rideable.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 25, 2015, 09:26 PM

Kinda the way I was thinking about Holy Schist about 2 weeks ago.  That is in good shape right now though...I just didn't have the time to dedicate to Over Lode too.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

January 26, 2015, 06:58 AM

A big "Thank You!" to Jay, Nate, and all the other fat bikers who have put in time to keep the trails packed down. I had a great ride Sunday afternoon thanks to your efforts. The sun even came out late in the day, and it wasn't bitter cold.

What a great way to enjoy the park in winter.

Walt

XXX

January 26, 2015, 11:03 AM

Conditions were great on Sunday morning too, there were already tracks down for the whole classic loop.  We ran into Greg H who was finishing up a lap of the system and joined in for some bonus miles Jin, Garrett, andy myself.  The fresh layer falling now is only going to make it even better.

XXX

January 26, 2015, 01:48 PM

It's great to see all the tracks on the trail, 4 years ago Brian, Peter, Dirk and I started riding out there on skinny tires and realized it was in some ways more fun than summer riding and then three years ago we made it all the way around on Holy Schist on our new fat bikes. We felt like we like were part of an expedition checking out new territories and now Holy Schist is a standard. Maybe with enough people packing and riding we can maybe add Overload and Pokerville to the winter trails.

1" of fresh snow today, plus we have some sleet over the top of it. If anyone can get out there today or tonight and get it packed it should be spectacular.