•  

June 14th work day

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

June 14, 2015, 07:46 PM

Despite the rain last night and wet trails, we got a respectable amount of work done. Dan D. and Gary split off and did some tuning of the rollers leading into the first switchback on last year's Holy Schist boundary reroute.

Mike, Scott, Greg, and I continued the work started back in April on the Holy Schist Phase 2 reroute. The new trail is wetter than I had hoped, but the wet area is much shorter, and we have a much better layout than the original and I'm confident that the new trail will not turn into the local streambed like the old trail. We skipped over some of the wet area and worked around the new ravine crossing. It's an attractive area with excellent dirt quality. We will back out again in two weeks with the volunteers from REI. Although it's a sponsored event, you don't have to be a member to participate.

The goal is to have a rideable reroute before the end of summer. If we don't punch through with the next work day, I'll be out periodically to make that happen. Gary and I will also be out doing finish work on the boundary reroute this summer. It's shaping up to be a good section of trail. I'm hoping we will be able to do some additional improvement to the beginner section this summer.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed their time to help improve the trails at Blue Mound.

Walt