•  

Blue Mounds

December 29, 2013, 10:31 AM

We really need some tracks laid down on Holy Schist before the deep freeze. There has been no traffic on it other than Brian, Peter and my snowshoeing after the last snow.

If someone can make time today to get a fat bike on it we then would have a doable loop, it might be worth doing the hard part first by going in reverse so you can finish out on the packed stuff. the 3 mile from the trail head through serpentine climb are very fast, 7 mph ave.

XXX

December 30, 2013, 09:27 PM

So, how is it out there now?

XXX

December 31, 2013, 07:36 AM

Tried to get out last night but, couldn't get out of work in time...

The snow was packed hard with very good traction so, I think the dusting we had of light powder should not get in the way. Although as any of you know that have done winter biking, the amount of snow, type of snow and the sub grade traction all effect to make it different every time you go out.

Anyone that has not tried this will be surprised at the traction snow can give, it can depending on the pack be better than summer. Sounds like both QR and BM are ride-able for all bikes no special tries needed. You just need to beat the snow!

XXX

January 01, 2014, 11:06 AM

Three of us got out last night. It does not get any better than riding in the dark, while it's snowing

We did an out and back on Chert Dip, still fast and good traction with about 2" of fresh powder by 6pm

Holy Schist still has limited snowshoe traffic and is untraveled by fat bike.

XXX

January 10, 2014, 05:08 PM

Took a long lunch today. Trail up to Holy Schist is still very fast. Holy schist is doable but, slow needs more traffic, home stretch is in good shape.

Weather should be perfect tomorrow. Rain may cause some issues but, most of it will hopefully get caught in the trees.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

January 10, 2014, 10:02 PM

Took a long lunch today. Trail up to Holy Schist is still very fast. Holy schist is doable but, slow needs more traffic, home stretch is in good shape.

Weather should be perfect tomorrow. Rain may cause some issues but, most of it will hopefully get caught in the trees.

I am hoping to get out there in the am.

XXX

January 11, 2014, 09:08 AM

I'm stuck working the home show today, I going in the morning. Warm temps over night might make it a little soft, let me know how it is.

XXX

January 12, 2014, 02:31 PM

Holy Schist had a crust on it early today so it was better except for foot prints from a runner. All the bouncing from the divots he created really got irritating. I know they have a right to use it but, with out us packing and riding it. It would be unrunnable.

With the temps this afternoon, I'm sure it got soft so hopefully we don't get some Sasquatch walking on it and ruining it...

If anyone sees someone out there running please cordially ask them to stay off the trail if they are sinking in or lets buy them some snowshoes...

Walt is it possible to post signs like they have for cc skiing?

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

January 12, 2014, 07:56 PM

I think signs are up to the DNR. We've asked in the past to change the trail signs to include runners (for general trail closure), but nothing ever came of it. The real kick to the pants is they get to use the trail for free. If I see Kevin this spring I'll try to remember to ask again.

XXX

January 13, 2014, 09:28 AM

The real kick to the pants is they get to use the trail for free.

Everyone pays the annual/daily/hourly park pass to use the park or runs the risk of getting a ticket.  Unless they're parking outside the park and running in from there, they are paying to use the trail.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 13, 2014, 10:29 AM

I think what Spike means is runners/hikers/snowshoers don't have to purchase the additional trail pass that skiers and bikers need.

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

January 13, 2014, 10:50 AM

The real kick to the pants is they get to use the trail for free.

Everyone pays the annual/daily/hourly park pass to use the park or runs the risk of getting a ticket.  Unless they're parking outside the park and running in from there, they are paying to use the trail.

Technically a vehicle admission sticker has nothing to do with trail use. What I meant was, they aren't required to buy and carry a trail pass, even though they are clearly using the trail in a similar way.

XXX

January 13, 2014, 11:52 AM

As an individual I am happy to see others use our trails as long as they are not taking away from our mountain biking opportunities.

I'm sure other users do not realize how much time the club... really Gary and Walt spend to keep the trail clean with no help from the park or the state. They charge us to ride on the trails and if I understand it correctly we get little or no money for maintenance...

MSquared,

1st off we need more women mountain bikers - thanks for using the trails.

If you have an opportunity to talk with your fellow trail runners please let them know that it would be greatly appreciated if they could stay off the trails when the snow gets soft those divets really change the experience. It's frustrating when I/we spend 2 -3 hours snow shoeing the route in to get it packed and marked for others to use and then find out find out that someone had ran or walked through the soft snow. Not only are those foot marks frustrating to ride on like they would be for the cc-skiers they can actually be dangerous because they are tough to see and expect. Thanks for you help.

XXX

January 13, 2014, 01:13 PM

I run and I bike on the same trails, so we're all on the same team.  Most trail runners snowshoe and/or run on snowshoes in the winter.  It's not a super fun experience for runners to post hole through deep snow in regular shoes - I'm not really sure why some do.  But there are idiots everywhere -- someone is always bound to ride on a muddy trail too.

I think a lot of trail runners who are solely runners don't know the work that the mountain bike community puts into the trails.  I don't want the bikers to see the trail runners as the enemy -- we should really be working together.  I think a lot of trail runners would be happy to help with trail maintenance.  I know that when I've been out on foot after a big storm, that I try to move big debris off the trail and let Walt know if there are downed trees.  We all have a common goal of wanting more trail to do our thing on! 

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

January 13, 2014, 01:47 PM

I don't think anyone sees trail runners as the enemy. The people who know better don't use the trail when it's prone to damage. Increasing the percentage of these trail users would help, but in the end, there's bound to be one or two that cause problems.

Also, I'm not sure why I even brought up the trail pass thing. Aside from what Spike mentioned, if I saw someone out riding or running and making a mess, the fact that he/she had a trail pass wouldn't matter, in fact I might be more perturbed if someone claimed the trail pass gave him the right to muck up the trail.