•  

I would like some fork upgrade input, if you have any to lend

March 15, 2014, 03:17 PM

I’m thinking of putting a new fork on my Pugsley:  the main reason being- I want the bottle cages on the back of the fork to supplement the hauling capacity that I already have with my frame bag.  I want a little more gear hauling ability, but I don’t want a lot of gear hauling ability.  If I have rack/room, I’ll bring the kitchen sink with me- I’ve seen me do it.

Among my questions:

Should I stick with a new Pug fork, or might I be wise to throw a Moonlander Fork on there?   I’ve never been in a situation where I needed more tire up front, but is there a chance that I might some day?   The Moonlander fork would allow me to, Pug wouldn’t.

If I don’t care one iota about the “swapability” of my front and rear wheel so should I consider a non-offset fork or would that make the handling wonky.  I run an Alfine rear and to be honest, I don’t know if it’s even possible to run that thing up front without mucking it up.  I’m not bothered by the offset at all, just wondering more than anything.

I guess that a third question might be- does anyone know a frame builder/handy person with a torch who could just put the braze ons on my current fork?  I can only imagine that the cost to have the work done would be affordable, but the cost to have the thing stripped/re- powder coated would have to be considered.

Beach riding season is coming up, and I want to be ready!

Thanks, in advance, for useful input

~ Heavily caffeinated, for your protection.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 16, 2014, 09:10 AM

I thought all Pugsley forks had the bosses on them?  I guess not though if you're looking to replace yours.

Anyway, I'd say go with the Moonlander fork.  It offers no downsides to a Pugsley fork and one upside...the ability to run a Bud should you so choose.

A couple compatibility questions though...is your current fork/front wheel offset?  If so, you'll likely need to relace your wheel on center to use the new fork.  Depending on what rim you have and how it's drilled, this might require a new rim (and possibly new spokes if the lengths aren't right) as well.  Some of the Large Marge rims are offset drilling only.

XXX

March 16, 2014, 10:40 AM

I can confirm that the regular Pugsley fork does not have all the bosses that the moonie fork does. 

Do the moonlander fork.  Minimal weight penalty for increased versatility.

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

March 16, 2014, 10:41 AM

I would think you could just put threaded inserts on your current fork. Someone in autobody should be able to do it. It would simply involve drilling a hole for the insert, then it takes a special tool that rivets it in place. No brazeing involved so it won't ruin your paint job.

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 16, 2014, 03:17 PM

Rivnutz

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

March 17, 2014, 12:58 PM

Rivnuts are great. I try to intergrate them in our designs at work.
    XXX

March 17, 2014, 08:09 PM

That is a good whack of feedback.  Thanks gang.

Nate: I think they all do, now.  This one is pre-now and has no bosses (as sbear confirms).  I’m running offset now, my current wheels are offset and in good shape:   I’d probably just stick with that.  I was just testing the waters since both forks are available offset and symmetrical.  I was looking to see if someone might chime in with an “I run a symmetrical fork now, and it’s a chick magnet” or some other compelling argument that would justify the switch.

Among my apprehension with rivnuts: I read a lengthy article some time ago relating to rivnuts and stress in aluminum (which has, of course, nothing to do with a Pugsley fork).  The only REAL concern with them is that for a rivnut with an M4 thread you have to drill a substantially bigger hole (multiplied by however many I chose to throw in there), in a fork, that takes a beating under the best of circumstances.  Since I’m a bigger guy and I tend to put a whack down on components, I just put rivnuts out of my mind.  Not saying that I’m some sort of rivnut or stress expert, just sort of wondering if that might be a concern? The tools- I have access to at work.  So that’s not a thing.

What manner of designs jhenry (I mean, if it doesn’t violate any NDA or anything like that)?  Things similar to the stresses associated with a great big guy, with no skilz or finesse, throwing a whack down on a bicycle fork?  I’d be willing to bet there is a chance you might know more about this than me?  You and everyone else that chimed in.

Honestly; thanks everyone.  I appreciate all of your input.

~ Heavily caffeinated, for your protection.

XXX

May 21, 2014, 04:16 PM

Kona fat bike forks have the bottle cage bosses on the rear side of the forks and the fork has tons of room to accept a larger tire. Id go as far as to say i think that the fork could easily handle the clown shoe tire.

Not sure on a price. I could call and find out if they are available.

Moonlander fork on the other hand has the bosses as well.