That is all.

D

~ I love my job!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:25 AM by dburatti »

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

April 26, 2012, 12:09 PM

I do believe you are quite excited to build some trail.  :)

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX
    dburatti
    Builder of trails. Rider of bikes.

April 26, 2012, 03:10 PM

I do believe you are quite excited to build some trail.  :)

Indeed I am.   8)

D

~ I love my job!

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

April 27, 2012, 10:15 PM

Here are some pictures of tonight's build and a couple of videos:

Video:

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 27, 2012, 10:50 PM

Thanks for posting up Dave! Pretty awesome what we were able to get done tonight. My guess is we moved 5 of the 10 tons of rock into position in one night. A lot of dirt moved as well. Not bad for four guys working about 4 hours until dark chased us out. We worked as late as we could with the forecast for tomorrow. In reality if the weather holds we should get this project done this weekend. With the forecast that is a BIG if. We will get done what is possible with the weather we are given.

We plan to hit it again at 8a tomorrow. My prayers are that all of the cold and rain is on the BALLS trails, because those freaks are secretly hoping for the most epic BALLS ride ever. That and for it to be miraculously dry in Rockdale. If it is too wet that slope will be too dangerous to get much work done. And you can not compact mud for berms. We will reevaluate as the day dawns tomorrow.

For tonight I am sure I will sleep well. Hard labor and a few tap Maibocks should assure that :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 28, 2012, 07:22 AM

We are going to delay our start this am. It is too dangerous to work on that very steep slope with big rocks in muddy conditions. We are hoping to be able to work later this am or by noon. I will keep on eye on conditions and keep everyone posted.
    We anticipated this last night so we worked until dark to get as much done ahead of this weather as we could. The good news is we got almost ½ of the rock (that’s five tons) moved into position, and we got a lot of dirt moved as well. A lot of nice benching was done as well. Overall had a really great night last night. Hopefully we can get back at it by mid day today and make a good day of it yet. There is still tons of rock and dirt to move yet to get this build completed.
    It is shaping up to be one really sweet trail!This will be a fun blast of a ride! I hope you can come on out and help.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 28, 2012, 01:40 PM

Well we have had to call it for the day. The precip won't stop falling. And the steep slopes are muddy and too dangerous to work on. Moving heavy rocks would be especially dangerous, and Dewayne would not be able to use the Ditch Witch at all in this mud.

So we will try again tomorrow morning at 8a. I believe Walt still plans to work at BM tomorrow at 9a, so go there if you can make it. We are planning to work tomorrow as long as it is daylight. We will have a TON to get done in only one day, so any help is appreciated. Even if you can only make it an hour or two. As you can see by the video and pics the work is not easy but we are managing to have some fun doing it. As always any questions ring me up at seven 7 2 seven 8 3 three. six o eight area code.

Hope to see some folks at some point tomorrow!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 29, 2012, 05:43 AM

We will be out there first thing this am going at it again. Things are starting to dry up. We have a pile of rock where hand work is needed to make the retaining walls.

If anyone can make it out this afternoon that would be awesome. Hopefully by then things will be dry enough to get the machine rolling again. And the rest of us will prolly be dragging by then. Some reinforcements of fresh muscle would be much appreciated.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

April 29, 2012, 02:31 PM

I apologize, I'm not going to make it out of the office today. Too much to do before I leave for a few days this week. Thanks for all your hard work, dudes! Time for some new pants, Chuck!  :o

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

April 29, 2012, 08:22 PM

Almost looks like you know what you're doing!

You need to come up with a name for the move you do in the first video, Chuck. It looks like ballet in the dirt, you just need to point your toes on the downhill foot a little more.

Walt

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 29, 2012, 10:51 PM

Almost looks like you know what you're doing!

You need to come up with a name for the move you do in the first video, Chuck. It looks like ballet in the dirt, you just need to point your toes on the downhill foot a little more.
    I think we should call it the Cam ROCK slide :) Yeah cheesy I know. It's late and I'm tired :P

Amazing how well the CamROCK slide actually worked. It generally kept things from going too fast and was able to mostly be in control. Just don't try to stop, because it would not happen! When one tipped off the side we just got the heck out of the way. It is now laying farther down the hill somewhere lodged against some trees.

Though once we figured out how to get the Ditch Witch up and down the hill it made everyone's life a lot easier. 

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:53 PM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 29, 2012, 11:23 PM

Huge thanks to everyone who made it out this weekend! THANK YOU! You are 8)
    Mike Meccia and Bruce Pedrick on Friday. I was amazed how much we got moving on Friday night. And thanks Dave M for getting the rock sling done.
    Saturday was a wash. Too slippery and dangerous to work on those slopes.
    Today dawned a big question mark. How wet would it be? By 8a it was not bad to work on the hills. We had some hand rock work to do for an hour or so. And by then we could fire up the machine again.
    The TTF Crew showed this am ready to work. Well part of them are also crazy BALLS riders, so we were down to John, Josh and Dave. Then Jeff Knops, the owner of the-shop-to-open-this-week in Cambridge, CamRock Sport, showed with coffee and donuts and fired us up.
    About the time we were draggin' a little, another Trek employee Dan Taitt showed with his almost-a-grown-man son, and he bought two friends along! That got us fired up again. Four fresh bodies to move lots of dirt. They had the lower berm built in no time! We sure owe a ton of this trail to Trek. Dan and friends built a ton of trail, took a break for a ride, then came back and helped finish another key part of the trail before they had to go. Awesome.
    Then about the time we were draggin' again, here comes Dave and Kate McCloud, of the Clan McCloud, to fire us up again! I mean how can you not get fired up. Dave and Kate rode 170+ miles in two days on the famous BALLS ride, then come out for three hours or so of trail work until the rain chased us away. Kind of makes most of you reading this feel like a slacker doesn't it?
    Oh and I almost forgot to mention, about the time a beer would have been a really good thing, our new best friend Jeff Knops from http://camrocksport.com/ shows up with a box full of chilled Sierra Nevada's. That hit the spot for me I'm tellin' ya! And Josh had the balls to ask him where the Ommegang was at :-[ Just kidding Josh! Jeff is a good egg, and can dish out the BS as well as take it.
    Overall a really amazing weekend. We were able to get a LOT of trail built. And this is about as hard of trail to build as we have. Four major Insloped Bermed turns on 180 degree turns. Two with retaining walls. A couple more bermed turns thrown in for fun. 45 degree hillside. 10 tons of rock. Prolly 10 tons of dirt moved. This is a trail CORP can be proud of.
    So where are we? The Beer Cave trail, the one that parallels the gravel trail from Rockdale along the bottom of the hill, is open and truly completed for the first time. It is buffed and in beautiful shape. The Bee Run Trail down the hill is probably 3/4 of the way done. All the work that can be done with a machine is done. We need some more hand labor to get it complete. I would guess another 20 hours of hand work to complete. Possibly this coming weekend, as next weekend is the CamRock work weekend. This trail will be really sweet when we get it done. Now seeing it shape up makes it look even more fun :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:27 PM by TheMayor1 »