•  

Beginners, Newbies, advice on staying in one piece.

May 23, 2012, 09:52 AM

Just thought I'd put this out there as it might spare someone new to the sport from making the same newbie mistake that I did. Know this, most trails are cut through what nature had placed there and while some elements make for some fun and interesting obstacles there are some elements that you simply wont see if you deviate from the trail even by a few inches. In my case I'm talking about downed trees that were cut out to allow the path through. Not all of them are visible if grass and weeds are grown up around them. Now LISTEN UP! If you are in a series of turns and lose your line, don't cut the trail to pick up the next turn or you will likely fly over your bars and face plant very suddenly. A ten inch diameter log, concealed in grass on both sides of the trail will surely ruin your day.
    Additionally, I can see where there could be instances where someone would want to bail out to the main double wide gravel trail just because they can see it so close. WAIT until you come to a mowed or trimmed out line out to the path or you will risk the same fate, you can't avoid what you can't see.

I know now that the next time I go out to any trail that I will walk it first and bring along a shears to further expose those logs hiding in the grass so I and others can see them. If this is the only trail maintenance contribution I do, it may spare someone from serious injury, not to mention a new helmet and forks.

I should add that I am looking forward to many successful rides at this and the other trails in the area and hope to contribute in a positive way to the riding community in general, and to the trails themselves as I learn about good trail stewardship. To those who obviously give much time to trail mantainence, you have a great trail system, most impressive.

XXX

May 23, 2012, 09:55 AM

Any other warnings or words of wisdom out there? I (and my aching bones) would love to hear it.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

May 23, 2012, 10:11 AM

You're going to walk whole trails with shears before you ride them?

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

May 23, 2012, 10:15 AM

I suppose I could strap them on the backpack and take a slow ride.

XXX

May 23, 2012, 10:32 AM

Any other warnings or words of wisdom out there? I (and my aching bones) would love to hear it.

Staying on the trail is a skill that takes time to develop but is rarely perfected, keep at it.

If you do any trimming please do it correctly.  Any time you cut a branch, regardless of how far back it is from the trail, it must be cut flush with the nearest node.  Never leave anything sticking out that could potentially be stabby.  This includes 'trimming' the edge of a bushy branch with shears, that often leaves a collection of mini spears that can turn a minor bobble off the trail into a bloody experience or poke eyes. More often than not it's best to take out the whole branch (flush to the trunk) rather than just trim back just the bit that gets near the trail.

XXX

May 23, 2012, 10:33 AM

I think going around with shears is overkill. I'm an Ãœbernewbie and have never had trouble with this. The signage indicating you need to stay on designated trails should be enough. That implies (to me) that there is no guarantee of ridable terrain off the  marked path.

XXX

May 23, 2012, 10:57 AM

I think going around with shears is overkill.

Maybe, but I've been known to ride with a pair of pruning shears in my camel bak for doing quick fixes on the trail, they're easy to cary and can deal with most trimming jobs.  I'm not sure how effective they are, but if they work well then one of these could come in really handy and take up effectively zero space/weight in a bag.
    http://www.amazon.com/ProForce-Commando-Wire-Ideal-Survival/dp/B0018VCJTA/ref=pd_sbs_lg_4

XXX

May 23, 2012, 11:06 AM

In this case I'm simply talking about exposing cut logs that are lying on the ground, that were cut with a chainsaw to clear the path, some that are within inches of the worn bike path but have grass grown up around them. I don't own a weed wacker (the ideal tool in this case). In my case, I had two choices, slow to make the turn or cut accross about ten inches of grass and reclaim the trail about eight feet ahead. I chose the latter, but would not have had I been able to see that large stopper of a log in the grass.

Small branches and shrubs I wouldn't think to disturb, and consider the small scratches they leave on my body trophies for a good fast ride, but if there is an obstacle that could send me to the ER, I want to be able to see it.

XXX

May 23, 2012, 11:21 AM

In that case your time is probably better spent working on cornering so that off-trail obstacles are less of an issue.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

May 23, 2012, 11:29 AM

Some good points here.

Don't take for granted that you can go off trail safely. Could be logs, rocks, or other stuff hidden in the weeds. If you can't keep the bike on the tread, consider slowing down until your bike handling skills improve.

When cutting dead fall, if possible make the cut(s) several feet back from the edge of the trail. Not only does this prevent riders from a potential crash, it also makes it easier to clear the trail of other debris.

Cut branches back to the trunk when trimming. Small trees and brush should be cut close to the ground except when they are in the tread, then they should be dug out by the roots. Don't leave stabby stuff behind.

Walt

XXX

May 23, 2012, 11:47 AM

Thanks Walt, and others, good advice to all beginners. Even as my skills improve I think I will always think back on this as a huge lesson, and strive to consider the new riders and the perils the unknowing might face. Maybe I have a future in risk management.

XXX

May 23, 2012, 12:03 PM

Maybe, but I've been known to ride with a pair of pruning shears in my camel bak for doing quick fixes on the trail, they're easy to cary and can deal with most trimming jobs.

This makes a lot of sense, and especially so if you're going out with some trail maintenance in mind. I just think walking every trail to sweep/trim before you ride it is overkill if it's a generally well-maintained trail.

Again, though, I am very new to MTB/trail building. A bit of searching led me to this thread about trail width. Apparently IMBA has guidelines that are wider than I thought and cover obstacles off the main tread as well. I still think you shouldn't trust terrain off the trail, but it may be better to move these logs if the surrounding grass would have to be trimmed often to keep them visible.

XXX

May 23, 2012, 12:35 PM

aganders3, bravo!! Great link, excellent contribution to this thread. Already I am learning in unexpected ways. Being new to MTB I can use all the help I can get, looks like I have come to the right place. Thanks.

XXX

May 24, 2012, 03:47 AM

Here's my two cents. 

When you are going to fast for the turn or whatever and are headed off the trail, slam on the brakes, back up, point it in the right direction and start over.

I do this a lot!

If your seriously worrying about what's off the trail then your focus is not in the right place.

If your gonna put work into it, work on staying on the trail.  Lots of people like to change or "fix" trails so they can ride them better, a lot of times the true fix is learning the skills it takes to ride whatever is in question.  There are many obstacles I have learned about the hard way so to speak.  I have not done anything about it but learn from my experience and become a better rider.

XXX

May 24, 2012, 10:05 AM

I can agree wholeheartedly about this aproach to learning to be a better rider, and will most certainly not deviate from the trail in the future. But I only deviated by a few inches and when I get out there again, if the weeds are still up around that log, I will snap a photo of the hazard, then clear the weeds at this particular spot and snap another pic and pose the question "Does this make this part of the trail 'more safe' for the beginner rider?". If this is thought to be overkill, I will let the grass grow back and never think about it again. Mind you this was in the section known as Daves Deer Path, what I would concieve as some of the easiest part of the trail and a place where a beginner is most likely to start to let 'er open up a little and start to test their skills at a greater pace than a more difficult section of trail. For me the lesson is already learned, and for those who read this a seed is likely planted, but for the unsuspecting, well I just don't want to see anyone seriously hurt. Over the bars at speed can change a persons life permanently. My wife is a social worker who once specialized in head and neck (paralysis) injuries and she can attest to how easily these things can happen. If I am going to ride trail, I expect to crash now and then, but I liken such a hazzard to having a clothes line strewn accross the trail at neck level. In the short time I've been riding I've seen dozens of these setups, but I could see them and could avoid them. This one is not visible.