•  

Broken frame=new bike advice needed.

September 24, 2014, 06:23 PM

I broke my 2008 Kona 29er hard tail frame last night at Cam Rock. I'm having trouble deciding on a new build and would like some advice from you guys. I could use all my older (but high-end) parts on a new build, I'm wanting a 4" travel full suspension now. Buuuut... My existing fork has a straight steer tube and QR dropouts, as do my wheels (they're a high end wheelset and might be rebuildable with through axles). Are the modern upgrades such as tapered steerer and through axles really a huge upgrade? In other words, do wait and save up for a nice new full-suss with modern standards, or do I find an older frame that takes my existing parts?
    I realize this is a matter of opinion and quite subjective, but my head is spinning and I need more dirt time this year!

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

September 24, 2014, 07:55 PM

It's impossible to say exactly where to draw the line, but in your shoes I'd probably just replace the frame with an inexpensive hard tail, then take your time building up exactly what you want in a suspension frame bike.

Not sure how much you have available for the new build though. That could change things a lot if you're on a tight budget.

FWIW, I'm not sold on tapered head tubes. If memory serves, its biggest advantage is there's more surface to join a large down tube? On the other hand, through axles are very nice. Also, 1x gearsets.

Walt

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

September 24, 2014, 09:14 PM

You can put a straight steerer tube in a tapered head, you just need to replace the headset.

I'm really in the same boat. The rear wheel dropout that I welded up last spring on my spearfish is breaking so I'm debating on what I want to do. Right now I'm kicking around the idea of replacing the frame with a steel hardtail. Ride that for a couple years while I decide what I want nezt. Maybe see where this 27.5 wheel goes.

Long range, when I buy a new ride, I would use the steel frame to rebuild my gravel grinder Misfit. El Mariachi is $700 but for another $100 I could get a Niner SIR9. There are cheaper ones out there also in the $500 to $600 range. At $800 I'm not that far away from the price of a full suspension. What to do  :-\

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

September 24, 2014, 10:41 PM

Farmguy is right, you can put a straight steer tube in a headtube designed for a tapered fork.  You just need the correct lower bearing/cup, or crown race, or some combination of the two.  So, in terms of the fork, you can have it both ways...a modern tapered headtube frame will work with both your current fork and your new tapered fork when the day comes.

As for the rest of your components, you may need a new front derailleur, a different BB, and a different size seatpost, but those things are possibly necessary even when migrating to a different hardtail frame.

I know this doesn't have the name-brand cache of many other frames, but it doesn't have the price either.

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/122-hobgoblin-frameset.aspx

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

September 24, 2014, 11:19 PM

Is it worth contacting Kona about warranty or crash replacement?  I have zero experience with that but it might be worth looking into.  Trail This, a bike shop on Verona Rd in front of Home Depot, might be able to assist you as they are a local Kona dealer.

XXX

September 25, 2014, 10:04 AM

Thanks a lot for the info guys, it's much appreciated. I think I will see if I can get anything out of Kona on warranty, then start looking for a frame. I'm leaning towards dropping some cash on a decent frame with a tapered head tube, then swap parts out for newer ones as the paychecks come in.
    Nate- that frame looks like a great value, I'll definitely consider that as an option.
    Farmguy- I remember you riding that tacked together Salsa last fall, you've definitely got your money's worth out of it!

Also, the picture shows my broken Kona... and carbon seatpost...

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

September 25, 2014, 01:17 PM

I cant tell from the photo...did it crank along the welds or did the tube just crack?

XXX

September 25, 2014, 01:38 PM

It just sheared away from the outside edge of the welds. I realize it was probably a long time coming; it's a silly design without a gusset build into that extended seat tube.

XXX

September 25, 2014, 02:11 PM

Andrew, sent you a PM

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

September 25, 2014, 02:51 PM

My next post was gonna be to let you know that Wade may have something you're interested in...