•  

Going Tubeless: What does it take?

Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

September 05, 2012, 01:31 PM

This is the tire that came stock on my 2011 Paragon.

I assume you've been using this tire and it isn't brand new?  I've had trouble converting old, worn, stretched out tires in the past as well.

Try it with a compressor.  If that doesn't work, it's time for a new tire.  Convert when you buy new tires.

XXX

September 05, 2012, 01:52 PM

And if the tire is new mount it with a tube overnight first.....that way it takes shape.....makes the tubeless setup easier.

I've been doing tubeless in one form or another since my first Stans kit in 2001 and have only needed a compressor for one tire ever.

~ I like beer and men

XXX

September 05, 2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks, I'll cross my fingers and try it with the compressor tonight. I know I had one of those adapters at some point...

The tires have a full season of riding on them. If I can't get it to bite I'll just resign myself to using tubes until I get some new tires.

sbear55: I think you mean I can mount the tire with a tube to set the beads, then unseat one bead and pull out the tube. Then install the valve and add the sealant with one bead off, all the while hoping the other bead doesn't pop out. When I first took the tire off, the second bead certainly stuck in pretty well - I will give this a shot as well.

Thanks all!

XXX

September 05, 2012, 02:38 PM

Nah, I was referring to using a new tire.....but what you mentioned can work as well.

Soap suds on both beads all the way around?  That helps as well.

~ I like beer and men

XXX

September 07, 2012, 11:36 AM

I still couldn't make it work with the compressor, sadly. I need a functioning wheel for WORS on Sunday, so in goes a tube. Oh well, I'll try again with fresh rubber in the spring! Thanks anyway for all the tips - I feel like it will be piece of cake next time I try.