•  

First trail to ride?

scribble

August 10, 2012, 12:43 PM

I am very new to mountain biking and also am looking to get into a shape other than round.  I am looking for recommendations on the first trial I should tackle.  I have very limited, to no ability and also need more endurance and was recommended to just get on a trail in order to build said endurance vs riding around on paved roads. I only have ridden 2-3 miles on street, I know it isn't much but I am working on that so I suppose that mileage would translate to 2-300 feet on an actual trail.

From my post you can tell I like to joke and I can also make fun of myself at the same time.

I appreciate anyone's recommendations and help.
    Was referred by a member on MTBR

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

August 10, 2012, 01:06 PM

For a completely tame off road experience there are actually some very nice gentle trails at Badger Prairie just off 151 at the Verona exit. Perhaps simply riding out the military ridge trail might also be a good way to build a base of off pavement riding. From there Quarry Ridge then Cam Rock would offer increasing dirt challenges.

~ i like social d

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:17 PM by Nate Woolever »

XXX

August 10, 2012, 02:01 PM

You might enjoy Cam Rock 2 just outside Cambridge heading towards Rockdale.  My kids can ride it, and they don't like biking in general, so something to be said there.  Its a fun/easy loop.

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

August 10, 2012, 03:03 PM

Hi,

Welcome!

My two suggestions would be consider some of the social events we have that are friendly to all levels.

On Mondays a group rides from the CamRock Sport Cafe in Cambridge. You can start that with just pedaling on the easy trail and try some other loops. Give a shout that you're a beginner and I'm sure people will help.

On Tuesdays people gather at the Middleton Bike park where there's a small loop of single track trail, the pump track and features for skills building. It's a different animal but the group is diverse and friendly. Sometimes the group goes to Blackhawk Ski Club which is private but has the easiest beginner riding that's also single track in the woods. Membership is $20 for bike season.

This club makes progress and has grown by people helping each other so if you give a shout here for some riding I'm sure somebody will respond if the schedules match.

Enjoy and good luck.

XXX
    scribble

August 11, 2012, 05:36 AM

Thanks for all the responses, I would love to do the group rides on the weekdays but my schedule sucks.  I will hopefully be able to sneak away from the Wife and new little one for some R&R  here soon to try some of these trails.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

August 11, 2012, 06:11 AM

Best wishes for some fun and fitness.

Walt

XXX

August 14, 2012, 08:42 AM

I think Quarry Ridge would be a great place especially if you are right in Madison. It is easy to get to on the SW side/Fitchburg/west Verona area. I just posted a PDF map of the trails in the Quarry Ridge "Trail Names" thread. You can make a relatively easy loop by taking the green and yellow out of the parking lot, and then turn right just past the shelter on the green. Follow that through the field, then just after you cross the ditch go left on blue. Take that all the way to the very top of the map where the trail makes a sharp 180. At that point you can get off and take the yellow (parallel to Military Ridge) back to the parking lot. (FYI, not all the trails are actually signed and marked by color to coordinate with the map) There would be one short/steep rocky section by the pond; otherwise the route is fairly flat and not too rough.

I don't know that trail nearly as well as others but I would be glad to show you around. Feel free to send me a message if you want to try and meet out there some time. Or just post up when you plan to head out and I’m sure someone would be glad to show you around too.

XXX

August 14, 2012, 09:55 AM

From a slightly-less-than-newbie, I would recommend Quarry Ridge, CamRock and Badger Prairie as good starting points. Badger allows you to get familiar with bike on flat areas, climbs, and some descents with a little speed. QR is good for starting to learn the technical skills used in mountain biking (and builds some fitness too!). CamRock has a little bit (actually lots) of everything!

And remember, you don't have to ride like the pros on your first try. I walked over a lot of logs/big roots on my first months out, but now I'm riding stuff that I would never have even attempted!

XXX

August 14, 2012, 11:41 AM

As a relative noob, can I offer one other thought: start gentle for sure, but be willing to walk occasionally.  Last night I was riding out at Cam Rock, and got on several difficult trails.  There were a couple times that I just had to swallow my pride and walk a bit of the trail, then restart afterwards.  This has the advantage in that 1) I got a rest from biking and 2) I got to walk through terrain while imagining the line I would have taken.  Maybe next time I can clear some of that terrain...or crash trying ;D

XXX

August 14, 2012, 12:40 PM

yes, walking is nothing to be ashamed of and crashing is going to happen. i have been mtb'ing for the better part of 20 years, and i walk plenty. probably because at 50+ i dont bounce very well, more of a splat. that said, sunday i crashed on a minimal difficulty obstacle that i have ridden often, just made a bad decision, ie too much speed for my skill set.

a final thought, confidence can supplement skill and risk taking and = lotso fun

i typically try to ride quarry ridge on sat @6ish, camrock3 on sun @2ish, if that works for your schedule.