•  

Upgrade or buy new?

October 15, 2012, 09:56 AM

So, the other day while I was at the bike shop getting my bike tuned up for a race, I asked the mechanic how much it would cost (approximate) to switch from my 3x8 drivetrain to a 2x10. He threw around some prices but told me it'd probably be better to just buy a new bike.

Now, personally, I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks upgrading my bike instead of over $1000 to buy a new one. Isn't that the point of an entry level bike? To be able to upgrade as you need/want to? My bike is a Felt Nine Trail ($700) and the parts aren't great but I knew that going in and planned on replacing as needed. My question is, who's right? Should I bother investing in this bike or consider saving for something better?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

October 15, 2012, 10:07 AM

There will be times between now and spring when OEM surplus, take off and clearance will create bargains for parts.

There will also be times when two diseases - newtoy syndrome, chronic gottahaveit syndrome - cause people to sell bikes and parts at good prices.

Consider those as good buying opportunities.

If this is about being weight weenie wheels, frame and fork are good solutions too. If you have an entry level bike money spent on wheels could help it and any bike you might buy in the future with more ease than moving drive train items around.

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

October 15, 2012, 10:09 AM

Do you often find yourself in the smallest chainring? How about the largest? I did a poor-mans 2x9 by removing the large chainring (rarely used in may case), and adjusting the derailleur's upper limit screw. Works great. I rarely use the small ring, but it's not worth removing it. I replaced my big ring with a bash ring that I've used a lot.

I guess what it comes down to, is what's wrong with the current setup? Perhaps you could squeeze a 9-speed cassette on your current hub (almost surely you could), then just replace the shifter. Both found pretty cheaply. In fact, I have a used SRAM 9-speed shifter and cassette I'd sell ya cheap.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

October 15, 2012, 10:39 AM

Ditto to Q. Running the same set up on the Big Mama. And I have the same thoughts on it. Is there really a need to spend the $, other than want? Or maybe you want to upgrade the component spec at the same time?

Though I have a '99 Haro Extreme Comp with a 3x8 AND a bash ring. You should see the size of that thing!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

October 15, 2012, 12:00 PM

Honestly, you're both right.  You could spend $1000 on 2x10 parts alone.  So in that case, the new bike is a better deal.

Q is right too...how much time to you spend in your bigger gears?  If not that much, go the 2x? route by removing your big ring and limiting the front derailleur down to 2 rings. 

You can put 8, 9, or 10 speed cassette on your wheel.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

October 15, 2012, 12:36 PM

Right, but if he is going to 2x10, then he is going to need a new rear Der. and new shifter.

IMHO, just take the big ring off and run it 2x8---plenty of range for what we have here.  Save yourself some money.

XXX

October 15, 2012, 03:35 PM

I guess my reasoning for 2x10 would be that I don't use my big ring, but I would like a little more range out back. If I really had my way, I'd love that 1x11 that's coming out, but I think that may be out of my budget range. I also like the idea of simplifying my shifting.

As a side note, I bent my rear derailleur hanger, and I'm pretty sure I bent the cage on the derailleur itself too, which prompted my thinking about drivetrain upgrades.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

October 15, 2012, 04:02 PM

I guess my reasoning for 2x10 would be that I don't use my big ring, but I would like a little more range out back. If I really had my way, I'd love that 1x11 that's coming out, but I think that may be out of my budget range. I also like the idea of simplifying my shifting.

1x11?? Oye vey!   Reminds me of the onion article about the gillette razors

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-were-doing-five-blades,11056/

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

October 15, 2012, 04:32 PM

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

October 20, 2012, 07:34 PM

XXX

November 15, 2012, 01:27 PM

So, I ended up finding some deals (partly from CORP!) on 10 speed stuff. Going to go with Q's recommendation and drop a ring in the front for the time being since I've got 3 and bash already.

All told the total is about $140 for new cassette, chain, front/rear mech, and front/rear shifters. I'll post up some pics when I get to building.

XXX

March 11, 2013, 03:51 PM

(content missing)

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX
    selbig

(content missing)

XXX

(content missing)

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

October 20, 2013, 10:31 AM

Used parts are the quon as long as they are in like new shape. I've got a 11-36T 10 spd SRAM cassette sitting here with less than 50 miles on it. Also a set of SRAM X9 10 speed shifters. I run 1X10 with A 28T in front 11-36T out back. Works great. I'm able to climb everything the same as a rider with a granny gear. Much less weight.