•  

CamRock Trail Posse thread

JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

June 28, 2014, 08:48 AM

Dave and I will have the trailer and mower out in Area 51 today. If you want to use it today just call me at two 0 niner 5 tree tree 7.
    XXX

July 01, 2014, 12:35 PM

I'll be out trimming the trail Friday morning.  I'll be using the mower, hedge trimmer and possibly the trailer til noon.

Scott

XXX
    Dave Reece
    Trail Steward | Battle of CamRock Race Conductor
    Trail Steward

July 01, 2014, 12:40 PM

FYI all. I mowed from Mayors Meander to Heathers Hills Sunday morning.
    I couldn't stand riding through the wild parsnip anymore. :-

~ Cheers!

Dave Reece
    Camrock Trail Crew

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

July 01, 2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks guys. How many hours are on the mower? It should be very close or ready for an oil change. We need to stay on top of this  :o
    XXX
    Dave Reece
    Trail Steward

July 01, 2014, 02:42 PM

What is our target hours between changes?
    I checked the oil Sunday and it didn't look to bad.

~ Cheers!

Dave Reece
    Camrock Trail Crew

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 01, 2014, 03:59 PM

What is our target hours between changes?
    I checked the oil Sunday and it didn't look to bad.
    I believe it is set to give a notice of oil change needed. I think every 10 hours? Mike does this sound right?
    Last week it was at 0.2 hours run since the last oil change.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 01, 2014, 04:38 PM

I never checked into recommended change intervals so its not set at the moment to notify. Those .2 hours are from
    me testing to see if the meter worked.

Do we have a shop manual?

XXX

July 01, 2014, 04:40 PM

I never changed the oil at .2 hours

XXX
    Dave Reece
    Trail Steward

July 01, 2014, 04:59 PM

I changed it last. Probably has 5 hours on the oil now so let's change it at 5 hours on the gauge.

~ Cheers!

Dave Reece
    Camrock Trail Crew

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

July 01, 2014, 06:59 PM

I never checked into recommended change intervals so its not set at the moment to notify. Those .2 hours are from
    me testing to see if the meter worked.

Do we have a shop manual?

Hi,

According to the Briggs and Stratton engine service manual, change oil after 5 hours for the initial break-in. "Thereafter, change oil monthly or every 50 hours of operation.* Change oil more often if engine is operated under heavy load or in high ambient air temperatures." No definition of what either condition is.

"Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SH or higher. Briggs and Stratton strongly recommend the use of synthetic oil." Minimum specification is ILSAC GF-2 with "SJ/CF Energy Conserving".

Their next choice is straight 30 weight oil, but 5W-30 or 10W-30 are acceptable with the note that oil consumption will be higher with multi-weight oils.

*The B&S website says to change oil every 25 hours.

Walt

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:01 PM by Walt Hougas »

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

July 01, 2014, 07:02 PM

I never changed the oil at .2 hours

Hi,

Not necessary according to the manual. The initial change is at 5 hours.

Walt

XXX
    Dave Reece
    Trail Steward

July 01, 2014, 07:28 PM

Thanx Walt!

I did the initial change so let's change it at 10 hours on the meter and every 20 hours after that....oil is much cheaper than a new motor. We should also plan to touch up the blade at the time of oil change and clean the air filter as well.

Thanx all!
    Dave

~ Cheers!

Dave Reece
    Camrock Trail Crew

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 01, 2014, 11:37 PM

To get back to trails. We have an issue. Part of Thom's trail is missing :o Curious minds want to know what you did with it?
    Kidding. A piece of the trail along the creek at the end of Veritas has disappeared. The field in the hill above it channeled the water into one spot, and the rush of water created a ravine that cut the bank back about 10 feet! Just enough to take out the trail. The fix is not easy as I envision this problem could continue and make things worse through the year. Even if the rains lessen. Another section of the bank basically did a mudslide this year as well.
    I tried to do a re-route tonight. But after ripping up my jersey, and it was getting dark, I finally gave up for today. I hope to get out there tomorrow with heavy clothing on and at least get a re-route figured out. The logical re-route area is heavily overgrown with brush and pricker bushes :'( :'(
    This field is also channeling water on the south end and has washed out the gravel trail twice in the last two weeks. Third time this year. I may see if DCP wants to either stop renting it out as row crops, or put in buffer strips to help with these problems.
    Anyway, we may need a call to arms to get this back open again. I will be out of town from tomorrow night through Sunday. So I am hoping someone can take lead on this once I get the fix figured out.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 02, 2014, 02:32 PM

We are getting to that time of year folks. And the weather certainly is not helping us. Hot and wet is just what these plants love to grow like crazy. There are tons of arm-rippers, face-slappers, and even some head bangers out on the trials right now. Please try to find some time to get out and get the trails back in shape.
    The prairies are growing like crazy right now was well. They really need to be trimmed and laid back. See my post from June 23rd.
    Their is also help available to you. See my post from June 26th.
    The Creekside trails are currently under water, so I would not worry about them for now. The creek is at its highest point this year. Hopefully that will change in the next week.
    Thanks for all you do out there to make the CamRock trails great 8)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 02, 2014, 11:46 PM

I was able to get out and rough in a reroute around the ravine today. I planned on just doing a temporary short reroute, but ended up with about 100 feet of new trail! I guess I am not good at doing anything half way :o
    I guess it will depend on what happens with the field next to it if this stays temporary or becomes permanent.
    Thom (or anyone else) if you are around this week and/or weekend, it could use some finishing work. I did not have time to remove stumps, other than the large one that had to be removed. I did cut them flush to make the trail rideable right away, but we know that wont last. And the tread could use some smoothing to be finished. Especially where the trail leaves and then re-joins the existing tread.

~ Chuck Hutchens