•  

Large Oak tree down

June 18, 2014, 06:47 AM

I was out running on the trails this morning.  There is a large oak tree that went down across the gravel path. Its located just south of the large bridge at the north end of the single track trails. 

I would be available to help cut and haul if need be. I wasnt sure what the protocol was.  I am in town the next 2 days otherwise leave for a week on friday.  Let me know if you need help.

XXX

June 18, 2014, 08:58 AM

If that was at 6:30am, I am guessing more is down after the mid-morning storm. I have saws and know how to use them. I could possibly com out for a couple hours this afternoon, or if its rainy again, tomorrow to help clean things up.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 18, 2014, 09:40 AM

Being that this is on the gravel trail and not on the singletrack, I have passed the information along to the powers that be.
    I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm to help take care of this issue. My feeling is that we have a lot on our plate to take care of with over 10 miles singletrack, so I will let the Parks Department take care of the rest. Lets wait and see what comes of these storms. I would certainly appreciate the help if we have similar issues on the singletrack trails.
    I would also not want to assume how Dane County Parks would want a tree down in this area to be dealt with from a management standpoint.
    FWIW: I called Dick Black, the Dane County Operations Manager. They will send a crew out to take care of it.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 18, 2014, 10:22 AM

Being that this is on the gravel trail and not on the singletrack, I have passed the information along to the powers that be.
    I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm to help take care of this issue. My feeling is that we have a lot on our plate to take care of with over 10 miles singletrack, so I will let the Parks Department take care of the rest. Lets wait and see what comes of these storms. I would certainly appreciate the help if we have similar issues on the singletrack trails.
    I would also not want to assume how Dane County Parks would want a tree down in this area to be dealt with from a management standpoint.
    FWIW: I called Dick Black, the Dane County Operations Manager. They will send a crew out to take care of it.

Thanks for that update.

I see we have a lot of collective work just with trimming, and surely other areas where trees will come down so it's great to see the offers for help.

The club in general might want to know our land managers require some certifications to saw where several of us have that. Those officially qualified to saw still need help. They should not be alone for safety sake, and a helper with sawing usually means a much better or faster job can be done.