•  

Felt demo at CR and you didn't know about it

JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

May 31, 2012, 11:39 PM

Apparently Machinery Row organized a demo day with Felt today (5/31). I guess it would have been nice to know about it being the largest MTB group in the area.......
    XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 01, 2012, 08:20 AM

I found out about it when I was at CamRock Sport yesterday for a meeting and some folks from Felt stopped in to ask if the trails were open after the rain.

I talked to Jeff about that as well. I said you would think when something like that was going on that CORP would know about it. It should be an event on our Calendar, etc. It would benefit everyone in a lot of ways. We would know what is going on on our trails. We would have an event to discuss going on at our trails. We would bring more people to their event. I presume they want mountain bikers in the area to know about it. We are the biggest club in the area. And notifying our members to come out to have fun, demo the bikes, and presumably get interested in buying one. Seems like a win win to me. And it would nice to have other fun events going on to let folks know about without the club needing to do a lot extra or have volunteers.

So why the disconnect? And how to make the connection? Do they not know who we are or how to connect? The Madison shops say they do not sell many high end mountain bikes. There are a lot of high end mountain bikes in the area as we well know. This could be one of the reasons why.

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:25 AM by Nate Woolever »

XXX

June 02, 2012, 10:05 AM

I'd bet if one were to "secret shop" most of the Madison bike stores and ask the right questions, they would be surprised to find how unaware most of them are of any mountain biking clubs, trails, etc. I did, and I didn't learn about CORP until I rode blue mounds and noticed the acronym on the nice little maps that are there.

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

June 02, 2012, 06:27 PM

Agreed. If we want more exposure, we need to be more exposed! It's better than its ever been, but it's still not to the point where most people know what CORP is or does. I kind if of like that, but realize that better exposure should translate to larger membership and more help. Should, anyway.

XXX

June 03, 2012, 03:27 AM

They have plenty of our brochures at machinery row!  Or atleast they did a few weeks ago when I gave them to them!

That is pretty rediculous that happened.  I would have loved to break someone else's bike for a change!!

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

June 03, 2012, 07:17 AM

No offense to the original designer, but the light-brown flyers are a little less than stimulating to the eye. Again, I'm not suggesting I have better ideas or talent, but seeing that stack of flyers just didn't make me want to pick 'em up.  :-X

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 03, 2012, 11:06 AM

The manager of Machinery Row gave me a message they're having another demo day June 20. He said he had difficulties registering for the forum and it won't let me post the flyer he sent so here's the info from Giant.

Note: The .pdf flyer I got says 2 PM - dark and the Giant www site says 3 AM to 6:30 PM. I'm not sure if 3 AM is a typo or nice gesture to accommodate Tim Sybrant's work schedule.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/localevents/event/ride.life.giant.tour.cam.rock.demo.day/298/

Ride Life Giant Tour sponsored by Machinery Row and CamRock Cafe & Sport

Contact for Questions: Machinery Row : 608-442-8274, CamRock Cafe & Sport: 608.423.2111

Time: 3:00am – 6:30pm.

Type: Both Mountain and road bikes will be available to demo.

XXX

June 03, 2012, 12:13 PM

We just re-did the brochure content this spring, it wouldnt be hard to print a new batch color or on brighter paper.

As I've said before I think we also need to improve our signage at the trails. Or have a box with our brochure in it at each trailhead. That might be the best option since they're done already and people can take them to read the info after their ride.
     Any opinions on that?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX

June 03, 2012, 12:50 PM

Tom that's the best prob the best idea i've heard all day, put them at the trails!  Especially camrock, I think a lot of people begin their mtn biking their.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

June 03, 2012, 01:30 PM

"No offense to the original designer, but the light-brown flyers are a little less than stimulating to the eye. Again, I'm not suggesting I have better ideas or talent, but seeing that stack of flyers just didn't make me want to pick 'em up."

>>Possibly so, but the new brochures are a vast improvement over the non-existent ones for the last several years. Some percentage of riders are actively seeking out local trail information, and our brochures fill that need, even if they aren't beautiful. Better to have something available this year than nothing, we can work on making them more attractive next year.

"As I've said before I think we also need to improve our signage at the trails."

>>There's always room for improvement. However, riders have to want to look at what's there or it just gets tuned out. Some aren't interested in being informed. My guess is that maps get looked at more than anything:

"I didn't learn about CORP until I rode blue mounds and noticed the acronym on the nice little maps that are there. "

>>Note that one of Bear's signs stating that CORP builds and maintains the trails has been in place for 3 years at Blue Mound at the trail head and he didn't mention seeing that.

>>The brochures are valuable to people who want to know what trails are available in the area, or perhaps are interested in getting involved. Trail maps are useful to riders who don't know a particular trail well. There's nothing wrong with having a sign that states who builds and maintains the trails, but it's not automatically going to connect with riders. I'm in favor of letting riders know who we are, but good signs cost and my guess is there is a greatly diminishing return on investment after the first few hundred dollars.

>>Blue Mound has a box at the trail head for maps and brochures. In years past when I've stuffed it, our materials always disappear.

Walt

XXX

June 03, 2012, 02:44 PM

Right you are about beginners using a map walt. How bout making a map to take along on the trails with our info on the back? Then you lure them in with the map and they get the other info too. Of course we'd have to have one for each trail and keep them stocked.

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

June 03, 2012, 05:28 PM

Some very good ideas here!

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

June 04, 2012, 10:38 AM

Another idea:  I did Ride The Drive this weekend and there were a ton of vendors (including most bike shops) and a huge crowd.  My wife suggested that we have a booth next year with a sign that says "What to ride something a little dirtier?" or to that effect.  (even the roller derby chicks had a booth)

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

June 04, 2012, 10:53 AM

Right you are about beginners using a map walt. How bout making a map to take along on the trails with our info on the back? Then you lure them in with the map and they get the other info too. Of course we'd have to have one for each trail and keep them stocked.

Good job on getting the brochures out, Tom. How do I get my hands on them? I'd like to stuff a few in the free map box at Blue Mound every time I go out there.

We need a tab on the web page with downloadable versions of the brochure, and trail maps.

Walt

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

June 04, 2012, 11:06 AM

We need a tab on the web page with downloadable versions of the brochure, and trail maps.

Walt
    [/quote]

+1