•  

Adopt a Trail

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

October 09, 2012, 01:11 PM

Position is open. Dave McCloud has taken a new position that will have him moving buck Up North to Da UP. I wish Dave, Kate, and Oscar the best of luck up there. I hope to ride with all on the trails up there some day.

So.....That means that CamRock needs a trail assistant. There is a lot happening at CamRock outside of trail maintenance and putting in cool new features that requires my attention. I need someone to make sure we are taking care of the trails we love. I see this as helping to manage the program outlined below.

I have a new idea from Dave on taking care of the trails. Kind of like an Adopt A Trail program. Folks will sign up to take care of their portion of the trail throughout the year. Nothing major, but it would split up the maintenance on the trails. I would guess a few hours a year on a trail should do it. For instance you could sign up to take care of Gettin' Started: Keep the leaves blown in the fall. Trim the trails a time or two in the summer. Maintain if erosion starts. Or we can talk about solutions or how to deal with larger issues. And as you get to know that part of trail well, maybe you come up with an idea for a cool new feature like berming a corner, etc. We can discuss it. Then we either add it to the trail projects for a bit Trail Day, or you can line up a crew of a couple folks to do it when it works for you.

Hopefully this will work as a way for folks to not be overwhelmed with trail work, but to take ownership in taking care of "their trail". Let me know what you think. And certainly let me know if you would be up for a section of trail. As mentioned, we will still have bigger work days, mostly in the spring for larger projects like re-routes or new trails or features.

Hopefully many more big announcements to come.......

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

October 09, 2012, 07:31 PM

This is a well thought out idea.  It will work.  I could see this working at other trails too.

I would take some trails at Quarry Ridge and Dawley Park since they are in my hood. CamRock seems to have a loyal riding group, I'm sure there will be plenty willing to step up.