•  

Name that trail! - Trail name nominations requested

November 10, 2013, 09:23 PM

In the spring of 2014, I'm planning on re-signing all of Quarry Ridge including adding a kiosk with a map. There will be trail markers on each trail showing trail name, difficulty, direction, etc. The signage will be very similar to CamRock. To complete this project, I could use some help planning this project if someone has some free time.

Step 1 is I need trail names. I'm not very creative with names. Currently, most of the trails have legacy names based on a feature on the trail and I haven't named any of the new stuff. It might be best to not change existing names to avoid confusion.

Here are the existing names (or lack of name) and the description of where the trail is at. Please post with trail name ideas. Include the letter so we know what trail you are referring to.

A. Sandy Climb - From picnic bench to top of hill.
    B. (Name needed) - Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    C. (Name needed) - New uphill from concrete bridge/dam to the top of hill.
    D. (Name needed) - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. (Name needed) - Lake Trail has been proposed) - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    F. Three Sisters - The jump line next to the Sandy Climb.
    G. Sandy Bowl - The name says it all.
    H. Tunnel Trail - The trail leading off of the main downhill run with jumps and the famous wood wall.
    I. Ambulance Trail - Steep uphill in the downhill area.
    J. (Name needed) - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX

November 11, 2013, 09:26 AM

D. Irish Flip Flop! I hope it's still there, if not we'll have to make something :D

XXX
    Tom Harron
    Former Club President
    Former President and Race Director of Battle of CR

November 11, 2013, 10:41 AM

B. (Flow Rider) - Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    C. ("Let's Do It Again!") - New uphill from concrete bridge/dam to the top of hill.
    D. (Twist N Shout) - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. ("Lake View") - Lake Trail has been proposed) - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    H. Tunnel Trail - The trail leading off of the main downhill run with jumps and the famous wood wall.
    I. Ambulance Trail - Steep uphill in the downhill area.
    J. (Pucker Downhill) - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

November 11, 2013, 11:10 AM

B. "Into the Garbage Chute" - Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    C. "The Grind" - New uphill from concrete bridge/dam to the top of hill.
    D. "Boring cx trail" or "Snakebite"  or "Twistin 'N Shakin" - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. "Do it Again"  - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    I. "Ambulance Climb" - Steep uphill in the downhill area.
    J. "Drawer Dropper" - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

November 11, 2013, 11:11 AM

B. Get up with the Get Down - Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    C. Rewind - New uphill from concrete bridge/dam to the top of hill.
    D. Twister - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. Waterfront - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    J. Over The Top - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.

XXX
    singletrackminx

November 12, 2013, 07:43 AM

What about incorporating the names of the people who really worked hard to make these trails happen? Seems like a lot of "thankless" volunteering goes on especially with the trail stewards. Could be a nice way to recognize the work that they have put in....

XXX

November 12, 2013, 09:23 PM

B. Down Town- Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    C. Easy Up - New uphill from concrete bridge/dam to the top of hill.
    D. Noodle or Irish Flip Flop - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. Rewind - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    F. Launch It- The jump line next to the Sandy Climb.
    I. "Ambulance Climb" -+1 Steep uphill in the downhill area.
    J. Man Down - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.
    K. Original Sin- the two cliff drops (rollable) on north side of bowl which were the 1st trail at QR-circa 1998.  New finish is rough cut.
    The downhill that Alex originally started might be another coming real soon trail... perhaps a thought for the Kiosk this spring Jeff.

XXX

November 13, 2013, 05:51 PM

Bad use of the quote feature, these are mostly my trail names not Tim B.  I like the better signage and kiosk idea.  Camrock is good, but I like the signage at Levis a lot also.

XXX

November 14, 2013, 06:10 PM

What about incorporating the names of the people who really worked hard to make these trails happen? Seems like a lot of "thankless" volunteering goes on especially with the trail stewards. Could be a nice way to recognize the work that they have put in....

I thought about naming after people, but that picks favorites. Besides, the trail name ideas on here are awesome, keep them coming!

XXX

November 20, 2013, 06:37 PM

I'm finalizing a few trail names. Unless anyone speaks up, the ones in bold are final. These are based on the online posts and offline discussions. Thanks for all the input.

I'll keep thinking about the other names. Drawer Dropper along with Man Down will definitely be a trail name, I'm trying to figure out which trail. I think we might need to rename 3-Sisters into more names this spring due to all the improvements being planned over there.

D. Irish Noodle? - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. Lakeview - Lake Trail has been proposed) - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    I. Ambulance Climb - Steep uphill in the downhill area.
    J. (Name needed) - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:28 PM by jeffb »

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

November 20, 2013, 07:49 PM

Lakeview

(enthusiastically posted via tapatalk free on my android mobile device)

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 20, 2013, 08:24 PM

I like lakeview. It is scenic.

XXX

November 20, 2013, 09:29 PM

Lakeview it is. I updated the trail on mtbproject.

XXX
    Schrader
    Trail Steward - Quarry Ridge

November 22, 2013, 10:39 AM

B. MAINLINE - Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    D. BLENDER - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. Lakeview - Lake Trail has been proposed) - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    F. DROP ZONE - The jump line next to the Sandy Climb.
    J. OVER UNDER - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.

XXX

May 01, 2014, 11:43 PM

I'm still looking for a few more names. The ones below in bold are finalized. I wouldn't mind renaming Three Sisters if we can come up with something better.

The plan is to print signage with trail names, and add trail maps/kiosks, so we need to get these finalized. Thanks for the previous input and I look forward to more good suggestions!

D. (Name Needed) - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    J. Drop Zone - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.
    New - B. Line - New downhill between Three Sisters and Ambulance Climb.