•  

Quarry Ridge Trail Weekend - October 10-13

October 13, 2014, 12:42 PM

you will have to go out and see it for yourself.  a small re-route took place yesterday ;)
    we built a very nice berm at that bottom hard-left-turn b4 you start the initial climb
    at the top of that, where it flattens out, you'll head left over a small dirt mound through 2 trees, then eventually turning right and cutting over the old trail and heading up a new raised single track dirt highway towards 3 sisters, then switching back left, crossing the old trail again, until you hit the big rock wall, which is on your left when climbing the old trail.  It then switches back right and up a smooth line to the start of the rocky/sandy area we all love.. That whole area will remain untouched.  we basically eliminated that loose, rocky, water damaged line up the hill before the fun sand and rock section and added triple the amount of trail to get up there, but at 10-12 degrees, rather than the ~17deg it was.   You're going to love it!  I can not wait to get out there to ride it after the rain stops this week!

Thank you Jeff for putting the excavator weekend together, it was well worth it IMO.  ....and thanks to all who came out and helped build.   The popularity of this trail is going to sky rocket with the improvements made over the past 4 days.  And we'll be doing this again with the excavator in the spring!!!

This sounds amazing! I was out there helping on Friday and am excited to see what got done over the rest of the weekend. Big thanks to Jeff and all the helpers!

XXX

October 13, 2014, 07:34 PM

Thanks to everyone! The excavator can move dirt, but the dirt doesn't become fun until volunteers like you show up and make it great. And great is an understatement!

Wade summarized the everything. In addition, there is a berm into the climb off of Dizzy (by the picnic table) and the first 250 feet of trail from the picnic table through the woods was reconstructed so it isn't a rutted mess. I think it may actually be fun to climb, but definitely not as easy as Rewind. The parts we removed and rebuilt were the sections that mostly involved pedaling effort, not so much technique. Wade scouted the entry into the serpentine highway and it has some things to make it cool. Plus, there is now more of the big rock to ride on!

Let me know if you like the changes! And start thinking of other things you want to improve and let me know. I definitely want to do a similar event in the spring. Maybe not a full 4.5 days, but a 3 day weekend would be an efficient use of a rental.

For reference, a week-long rental is about 2.5 times the cost of a single day rental. A week rental includes 40 hours of machine time, versus 8 hours of machine time for a day (engine hours on the hour meter). In addition, the fixed cost of delivery and pickup are spread across 40 hours of usage instead of 8. To crunch all the numbers for you, it is 1/3 of the cost per hour to do a week rental versus a single-day workday rental. And, the time commitment of driving a machine that goes 2 mph to and from the worksite is reduced, so our effective hours of useful output are much greater. That's why it makes sense to do projects like this as a big event instead of a day here and there.

XXX
    Schrader
    Trail Steward - Quarry Ridge

October 14, 2014, 12:15 PM

Jeff,
    A huge Thank You for making this happen and for your time to be out
    there moving dirt. Quarry Ridge has so much potential and you are making it a reality.
    Thanks again Jeff.
    Awesome Job!

XXX

October 14, 2014, 09:41 PM

Someone left a pair of riding gloves out there. If they are yours, PM me.