•  

Holy Schist ride

January 14, 2013, 07:51 AM

Dirk and I were able to get out Friday afternoon on snowshoes and get the Holy Schist stomped down.

Four of us went out on Fat Bikes Sunday morning and did the Chert Dip/Holy Schist combo. With the heavy tree cover the Mounds still has snow, only a few exposed areas on the south and west sides were down to dirt. The trail is not as smooth as it was before the thaw but, still a good time.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 14, 2013, 09:53 AM

Sounds like a blast. First ones Around the Mound for the year :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

January 14, 2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks!

Walt

XXX
    wadedro

January 17, 2013, 09:00 AM

Nate, Kevin and I rode HOLY backwards last night.  I think we answered our question.  "Would we ever need a full suspension fat bike?"

The trail got some foot traffic during that last warm spell.  Its full of deep boot footprints, snowshoe craters and wildlife tracks.  We were even discussing the possibility of pinch-flats from snow it was soo bad.  Not very enjoyable in my opinion.  A front suspension fork would have helped greatly.  Trail was significantly better once you got off HOLY and onto the old loop, however, the first couple sections of trail from the parking lot are also full of deep boot prints.  We didn't check out overload.   It did snow during the ride so that was a plus.  Be careful out there, some sections have ice which made several climbs very challenging.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 17, 2013, 09:25 AM

Not very enjoyable in my opinion.

I agree completely Wade...except for the statement above.  I still had fun.  We were able to get a ride in at Blue Mound, in the dark, on January 16th!  Also, beers at Hooterville.  Pretty cool...

Keep an eye out for those Maverick SC32 forks...easily work with a fat bike.  OR pick up a Lefty...not cheap though.

XXX
    wadedro

January 17, 2013, 09:41 AM

Not very enjoyable in my opinion.

I agree completely Wade...except for the statement above.  I still had fun.  We were able to get a ride in at Blue Mound, in the dark, on January 16th!  Also, beers at Hooterville.  Pretty cool...

Keep an eye out for those Maverick SC32 forks...easily work with a fat bike.  OR pick up a Lefty...not cheap though.

ya ya, still fun i guess.  you're right.  the company was great.