•  

2014 Midwest Fat Bike Access and Grooming Workshop

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 07, 2014, 04:29 PM

I know someone else posted within another thread on this, I think it was Richard. But I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone else is planning on attending this? I can finally confirm that I will be attending. I have a free place to stay on Thursday night as well if anyone wants to join me.

We would not be able to car pool as I am combining it with a work trip and a family get-together over the weekend that is also up north.

From the chatter on the interwebs it seems that every other place in the region that has snow biking will have folks there. I hope to learn a lot about what others are doing that has been successful. And maybe more importantly what others have tried that has failed so we don't waste our time or efforts.

Link for further information. https://www.imba.com/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=367

Also, for the BOD: I can do some talking up for the May Midwest Summit we are hosting. Tough work to talk while hoisting a beer, but I will do my best. Do we have any information that you want me to pass along or talking points you want me to push?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 10, 2014, 12:39 AM

A great session tonight. 40 or so of us on a group ride on the Esker trail. About 7 miles of perfectly groomed goodness. The section across the lake is very cool. Then we watched the movie Cold Rolled about the Marquette snow biking trails. All groomed. Fat bikes only allowed. Interesting.
    QBP is sponsoring this and even had an open bar session that followed.

Some take home points from the after at the bar:
    Lots of $ to be made with a "gala" gathering. Breweries or nice bars work best. $50 cover. Do it in the spring before trails are open for dirt. Folks are willing to donate lots in anticipation of the season. Get swag for silent auctions for more $. You will get lots of $ from folks who have it and folks who are unable or willing to put in lots of time building or maintaining trails. Marquette, a town of 20,000 people, raises $7-$8,000 each spring. Made $3500 the first time they did it. Takes an afternoon of work.
    We also need to get in close contact with the tourism bureaus in our area. They have lots of $. Marquette's has $500,000 per year. There are three members of tourism boards here at the Summit.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

January 10, 2014, 12:04 PM

Thanks for going and representing Chuck!  I am curious about what works for grooming and how much we got to pony up to get/ make one.  I wonder if DCPs would be willing to do some test grooming on one of there properties?