•  

Quarry Ridge Workday , Saturday 4/7, 9 am - 1 pm

April 08, 2012, 12:09 PM

Also, don't forget to log your volunteer hours in the worklog!

http://www.madcitydirt.com/?page_id=497

XXX

April 08, 2012, 11:55 PM

I stopped in to Quarry Ridge to ride the new trails and put in some signs. Attaching a few pics of the new TTF feature, jumps on the 3 Sisters trail, and the new trailhead. I didn't pause to take a picture of the rebooted Ambulance trail, but I will say that it's going to be a tough climb (even after the trail gets packed down).

Thanks again to everyone who turned out and especially the TTF crew for putting in a long day to get the ladder in. The rollers can be tricky if you've got a long wheelbase but I really like the challenge that it adds.

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX

April 08, 2012, 11:57 PM

A couple more pics...

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

April 09, 2012, 06:01 AM

That sign in the last pic, on the left?  We need to get a ton of those to put all over our network.

~ i like social d

XXX

April 09, 2012, 08:00 AM

bmmullen, I must have seen you out there yesterday afternoon taking pictures.  My friend and I rode by as you were stopped by the new wooden ladder.  We chatted for a few seconds.  I was the chick who waited while my friend rode the new feature.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:06 AM by MSquared »

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

April 09, 2012, 08:06 AM

The rollers can be tricky if you've got a long wheelbase but I really like the challenge that it adds.

After we had the decking on we debated reworking the dip. We might change it if it doesn't meet a beginner's expectations.
    XXX
    JM

April 09, 2012, 08:08 AM

I would like some people to ride it and give us some feed back before we rework it.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

April 09, 2012, 09:54 PM

I rode it today.  First - thanks guys for adding some of this cool stuff on the straightaway - nicely built and I would love to see more of it.

As far as the ride goes - took me three tries to clean it using the longer path (right hand side) on a rigid 29er SS with relatively high gear ratio.   With that kind of setup, the two humps are pretty tight together - at that wheel base the bike settles into the "valley" and then you have to torque the cranks kinda hard to get up over the hump - which then means you suddenly have to control the burst of speed as you pop over the second hump before you ride the skinny.  I enjoyed the challenge - I think it's probably much more rideable with the option of a lower gear and on a 26er that won't wedge itself between the humps, if that makes any sense.  It's going to be  tough but a good learner for a beginner.

So bottom line, my bike setup made it tougher than it probably has to be, and I enjoyed riding it nonetheless.  FWIW, this is my preferred bike at camrock including over everything in Outback.  Light and nimble (for a 29er).  Might frustrate some folks for a while but that's the point.  I'd say leave it for a while and see what people think.  I'd rather see any re-build effort going into more of those.

Thanks again.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

April 09, 2012, 10:00 PM

The new wood feature is great.  I rode it tonight and brought a beginner along.  I am kind of concerned about how much the bottom of the dip grabs the front wheel.  It almost matches the radius of a 29er wheel exactly.  Dropping into the bottom will flip you over the bars unless you come to almost a stop and then pedal out of it.

With that in mind, I like the challenge and didn't have a problem clearing it on the first shot.  If we are targeting beginners, though, it is possibly a major challenge for a new rider.  Maybe we need another TTF more focused on beginners, such as starting out wide and then offering two difficulties of a narrowing path 8-12 inches off the ground.  Give the beginners something to learn the basics before tackling the new one.

The wall ride in the woods is great!

XXX
    JM

April 10, 2012, 10:06 AM

I figured that it would be kinda deep at the valley, Keep riding it and keep me posted so I can make a disssion on any fix.
    JM

XXX

April 10, 2012, 11:27 AM

I took a digger on it last night.  Didn't evaluate it first, like Blackbike - on the singlespeed/29er, didn't react quick enough to the stop and power forward.  Coming up to it I thought it was a smoother flowing feature, guessed wrong :P  I suck on that stuff anyways, so not sure if it helps at all.

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    JM

April 10, 2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

April 10, 2012, 01:17 PM

I think jeffb stated a little more clearly what I was trying to describe as a wheelbase problem and what Dave experienced - as the back wheel is coming up the first hump, the front gets "stuffed" into the valley.  As I said I think a 26er probably will work better for those who have little kids bikes  ;)

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

April 10, 2012, 02:14 PM

As I said I think a 26er probably will work better for those who have little kids bikes  ;)

Hey, whatever you need to make riding easier...go for it. I'm up for the challenge of a 26" wheeled kids bike!  ;D

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

April 10, 2012, 03:05 PM

I'm thinking of going even easier...this will roll right over both humps at one time.