•  

Trails cleared of.... (rubbing, stabbing, poking)

Colin519

August 04, 2012, 11:10 PM

I armed myself with a pair of loppers, hand pruners, hand pull-saw, and a spade shovel, and spent 3-ish hours today walked the trails and cutting/clipping off pretty much any tree branch that would be in the way throughout the outside XC loop. 

1.  One tree (fell across path) looping the easy green to the blue trail
    2.  One tree (nearly across path, but every wind storm drops little by little) on the blue trail (careful there is a bee's nest in the stump when I was trying to fill it in with dirt)

Before.

After.

Just after this tree there was a washed out berm that needed something so I built it back up... And I know it is not forever but it will last this season.

3.  In the valley out near the end of the parking lot there were 3 trees with branches over the trail.  I trimmed back the branches, so you don't even need to duck.

4.  On the sandy climb some of the branches on the right side trimmed them back or at least made cleaner cuts from previous people. 

5.  Cleared fallen branches or dead branches on or near trail farther back out of danger. 

6.  Added dirt to both stepdown's/drops on the back XC loop and to the first skinny wood bridge.

7.  Re-clipped any bad clippings from previous people, and put everything 5'+ back into the woods.

I was not able to get into the inner DH trails.  After 15min out there I was soaked in sweat, the bugs were getting bad and I already got stung by 2 bee's after 3 hours so I called it a day.  I really hope it is smooth and fast with all this work.  Can't wait for it to dry up and ride it this week.

XXX

August 05, 2012, 12:24 AM

Thanks colin!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX

August 05, 2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks Colin! I was out there in the morning and I noticed a lot of stuff that was needing trimming or removing. I really need to get access to some tools! Next time you plan on doing some work, let me know!

PS-any idea what the pile of flat rocks at the top of the first rock climb are for?

XXX
    Colin519

August 05, 2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks Colin! I was out there in the morning and I noticed a lot of stuff that was needing trimming or removing. I really need to get access to some tools! Next time you plan on doing some work, let me know!

PS-any idea what the pile of flat rocks at the top of the first rock climb are for?

Having a 2nd or 3rd person out there would help.  And maybe a wheel barrel for tools (carrying them everywhere sucked)  And I didn't see any pile of rocks when I was walking it... But I wasn't really looking either.   I am hoping this rain didn't destroy most of the dirt I put down yesterday.  I hope to check it out later this week.

PS.  Anyone own or have access to a brush mower for the valley trails ?  It needs it down both sides badly.

XXX

August 05, 2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks, dude!  Quarry is my main trail and I do 90% of my riding there, so I try to help out by trimming stuff at least once a month.  I haven't been riding much at all lately with the heat this summer, so it's good to know there are others out there trimming too.  And I don't really ride the XC loop so even if I had been out trimming you would have gotten stuff I wouldn't.  I'm gonna do some trimming on the trails leading into/out of the sandy bowl and on the downhill section next week on Thursday hopefully as long as it's not too hot out.  Thanks again for pitching in!

XXX

August 06, 2012, 11:12 AM

Which part of the valley trails need cutting? I may be able to get to it this week.

XXX

August 06, 2012, 07:03 PM

Aaron, i believe those are for jumping over.

I'm planning on organizing some workdays once I'm home from vacation and get oriented, stay tuned.

Also, discover wisconsin wants us to give their show host a tour, riding demonstration, and trailwork demonstration for 2 hrs or so on the 16th. Either right before or after lunch. Anyone interested? Its going to be some great publicity for corp and you get to be on tv!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX
    Colin519

August 06, 2012, 11:33 PM

Which part of the valley trails need cutting? I may be able to get to it this week.

If you go the wrong way out of the parking lot (over what used to be a stream) into the valley to meet up with the edge of the blue route... That valley needs some cutting.

XXX
    Colin519

August 07, 2012, 09:44 PM

Wow--- That is mowed now.  :o  Thank You !!
    Rode it tonight with lights and the valley is clear. 

I do need to take a few branches down after I just rode the trails. (there are still a few close ones.)

XXX

August 08, 2012, 08:22 AM

While riding last night I cleared some more sticks that had maybe blown onto the trail and pushed back some honeysuckle that had fallen down near the top of the sandy climb.

On a side note, there were about half a dozen riders out there (XC) when I got there at about 6. Sadly none of them bothered to pick up any of the easily removed debris on the trail.

XXX
    Colin519

August 08, 2012, 01:38 PM

We got there about 7:30p, and double flatted but fixed both of them with patches and rode for about an hour.  There were two ladies on 29er HT when we got there but they rode around the parking lot like 2x and then left.  The trails seems pretty nice when we rode them. 

XXX

August 08, 2012, 04:48 PM

We got there about 7:30p, and double flatted but fixed both of them with patches and rode for about an hour.  There were two ladies on 29er HT when we got there but they rode around the parking lot like 2x and then left.  The trails seems pretty nice when we rode them.

I think I saw them on the trail as I was leaving. Looked like they were racers getting in some laps.

XXX

August 08, 2012, 07:30 PM

If you go the wrong way out of the parking lot (over what used to be a stream) into the valley to meet up with the edge of the blue route... That valley needs some cutting.

That section of trail is not mowed purposely (and should not be mowed). It is abandoned and no longer a trail. We are only maintaining the new trail (a 2-way trail). That is one of the reasons why there is a do not enter sign.

XXX
    Colin519

August 08, 2012, 08:01 PM

That section of trail is not mowed purposely (and should not be mowed). It is abandoned and no longer a trail. We are only maintaining the new trail (a 2-way trail). That is one of the reasons why there is a do not enter sign.

Well someone mowed it.  And what used to be the wood bridge over the stream(laying in the grass) chewed that up, while running over it. 

XXX

August 08, 2012, 09:42 PM

Better relay that to the city, they mow that section.

~ Burn rubber