•  

Quarry Ridge Trail Weekend - October 10-13

September 24, 2014, 12:04 AM

For those of you not on facebook:

It's time to move some dirt! We are renting a mini excavator at Quarry Ridge from 10/10 through 10/13. Here is a list of some initial plans for what we will be doing:
    -Fixing rutted trails and erosion issues (possibly adding rollers or other fun features at the same time).
    -Enhancing the Three Sisters trail.
    -Finishing B. Line.
    -Adding jumps and berms to Drop Zone (we'll be building the crossover bridge feature soon).
    -Removing stumps.
    (Check out attached drawing for a concept of what we will be doing).

Excavators are good at moving and packing piles of dirt, but the finished product needs helpers to shape and smooth the features into a finished trail. This is where we need your help!

Closer to the date and throughout the weekend, we will be posting up more exact details updating volunteers on when and where you can find us to help out. Tentatively, we will be working from 8 to 5 each day, and likely starting earlier and ending closer to dark. Any help would be appreciated!

Bring gloves, water, and bug spray!

Please note that portions of the trail will be closed intermittently as we work on them throughout the weekend.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:49 PM by Gary S »

XXX
    Brett.Oesterle

September 24, 2014, 09:53 AM

I'm definitely going to try and get out there for at least a few hours to help out that weekend!

XXX

September 27, 2014, 11:18 PM

Update - I had the wrong date in the title. I'll be digging Friday through Monday. I'll need the most help Saturday through Monday. Any help is appreciated!

XXX

September 29, 2014, 08:30 PM

Tuesday 9/30 at 5 pm. I'll be at the toolbox or nearby cutting brush and making room for excavator access. Stop out and help if you want.

XXX

October 01, 2014, 08:09 PM

I'll be at Quarry Ridge from 7:30 am until ~10 am Saturday (10/4) doing some final scouting and brush moving before the rental. If anyone wants to stop out to either help or discuss things, you should be able to find me near Drop Zone, Sandy Climb, or Bottoms Up.

XXX

October 07, 2014, 10:58 PM

Digging starts Thursday. I'll mainly need help starting Friday afternoon through Monday. Stop out to check on progress and help shape some dirt.

XXX

October 08, 2014, 10:50 AM

I just added this event to the Madison Mountain Bikers Meetup.  Hopefully we'll get some turn out!  I stated just hit the trails and ride till they find you. 

XXX

October 08, 2014, 10:07 PM

I just added this event to the Madison Mountain Bikers Meetup.  Hopefully we'll get some turn out!  I stated just hit the trails and ride till they find you.

Thanks! Hope to see you out there.

XXX

October 09, 2014, 08:16 PM

A bunch of dirt was moved today. Friday, we'll be doing more work on Dizzy, then moving up the hill to start on some of the downhill runs. .

We could use some help! Starting Friday afternoon and throughout the weekend, stop out and check on progress. Grab a shovel or rake and help shape and smooth the trail. Please bring your bike; test riding is very important!

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

October 10, 2014, 08:28 AM

Refer to FB for pics of the progress. Great work Jeff!
    XXX

October 12, 2014, 07:31 PM

We're winding down for the last day. Monday, we will be out there from 8 until about noon. Projects are still being determined, but we will likely be finishing Sandy Climb, refreshing Big Sister, and possibly working on Dizzy.

XXX

October 13, 2014, 09:31 AM

What's changing on the sandy climb?

~ Go Big or Go Home

XXX

October 13, 2014, 11:06 AM

you will have to go out and see it for yourself.  a small re-route took place yesterday ;)
    we built a very nice berm at that bottom hard-left-turn b4 you start the initial climb
    at the top of that, where it flattens out, you'll head left over a small dirt mound through 2 trees, then eventually turning right and cutting over the old trail and heading up a new raised single track dirt highway towards 3 sisters, then switching back left, crossing the old trail again, until you hit the big rock wall, which is on your left when climbing the old trail.  It then switches back right and up a smooth line to the start of the rocky/sandy area we all love.. That whole area will remain untouched.  we basically eliminated that loose, rocky, water damaged line up the hill before the fun sand and rock section and added triple the amount of trail to get up there, but at 10-12 degrees, rather than the ~17deg it was.   You're going to love it!  I can not wait to get out there to ride it after the rain stops this week!

Thank you Jeff for putting the excavator weekend together, it was well worth it IMO.  ....and thanks to all who came out and helped build.   The popularity of this trail is going to sky rocket with the improvements made over the past 4 days.  And we'll be doing this again with the excavator in the spring!!!

XXX

October 13, 2014, 11:14 AM

Sounds good, I'm definitely planning on getting out there and riding after this monsoon they're calling for quits. Thanks!

~ Go Big or Go Home

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

October 13, 2014, 11:34 AM

New strava climb here we come  ;D

Thanks for the continued work Jeff and all.  Would have come out but stomach flu took over the house.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.