•  

Wednesday Night Rides

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

May 12, 2013, 10:18 PM

As some of you may have heard, the Chainsmokers have decided not to run Wednesday night time trials at Blackhawk this year, bringing the end to a long and storied era.  Some of us out there decided that that is no reason not to keep riding on Wednesday nights.  So as not to confuse anyone, we are going to call it the Wednesday Night Ride.  For the next few weeks (until school is out), it is going to be informal group rides, taking whatever form the folks who show up feel like.  Once school is out, things will sometimes be more structured, and hopefully interesting.  No set plans yet, but there is talk of family oriented pot-lucks, bike related movie screenings, bonfires, live music, maybe even the occasional time-trial.  So figure on coming out sometime.  6:00 at the East Chalet.

In more Blackhawk news, the board approved $7,000 for bike trial work this summer, so with any luck the area's potential will be more fully tapped by the time fall rolls around.

New this year is the Kids Mountain Bike Program, based on the kids ski programs.  It is happening Thursday nights, age six and up, two six-week programs.  A good chance to get the kids some instruction while you go ride.

There are work days scheduled for this weekend (May 18-19).  I can't remember the details, but I am sure if you show up Saturday morning around 9:00, things will become clear enough.  This is a good chance to check out the area's existing trails, and the potential for more, as you do not need to be a member to participate in maintenance (awful generous, eh?).

Speaking of membership, you can join here: http://www.blackhawkskiclub.org/.  It is $35 for the summer membership (the website currently defines that as Memorial Day to Labor Day, but that is incorrect; it is whenever the trails are rideable (i.e. no snow)).   There are a bunch of other year round options if you are a skier, though I think the year starts in the fall, so go the summer route at this point.  I know it is a drag to pay to ride, but it is pretty insignificant if you can get out there a couple times, and it is nice to have another spot close to town.

Jon

XXX

May 13, 2013, 04:01 PM

No time trials?  :o Those were fun. What were the underlying reasons for pulling time trials?

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

May 13, 2013, 05:00 PM

Lack of sufficient interest.

~ i like social d

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

May 14, 2013, 10:06 PM

Nelson is on the money there.  I am sad to see them go as well; for a variety of reasons I don't do much racing otherwise, but I enjoyed the friendly competition.  When the average attendance was in the low single digits, though, it was hard to justify someone coming out and setting a course.

One correction to my original post; the $7,000 includes the money to get the youth program going.  I am not real clear on the separation (I am a few links removed from the board), but even though it is not all for trail improvements, it reflects a renewed interest on the part of the club management to support mountain biking, and there is no reason to not be excited about that.

Also, some felt I should make clear that the trails have not had much maintenance yet this year, so if you come out tomorrow night, be prepared for a less refined feel.  They are rideable, and not that different than they have been in the height of the summer in years past.  After this weekend that should not be a problem.

Jon

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

May 21, 2013, 10:11 PM

If it doesn't rain tomorrow, we will ride at 6:00.  Probably do a couple laps around the main loop.  Bring climbing gears.

Jon

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

May 28, 2013, 07:26 PM

This week: A bit of work, ride and beer.

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

June 04, 2013, 05:53 PM

This Wednesday...

1. I'm buying some food and beverage and hope to light a grill around 5:30.
    2. 6 PM meet and consider joining the youth instructors and coaches.
    3. Trail work.
    4. Ride

Choose any combo of 1 - 4 as long as you get out and have some fun.

Blackhawk is open to the public for social events.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

July 02, 2013, 09:47 PM

I will be out tomorrow night; meet at the East Chalet at 6:00.  We will do whatever kind of riding whoever shows up wants to do.  William mentioned the possibility of food and drink, but he seems to have more on his plate than usual this week, so I am not sure if that will come to fruition.  The Capital Brewery Beer Garden isn't too hard to get to from there if we have to take matters into our own hands.

XXX
    imwjl
    Trail Steward

June 05, 2014, 08:44 AM

FYI: I've noticed some of us are joining the Wed Quarry Ridge rides, and the youth MTB classes on Thursday have turned that day into a regular Blackhawk gathering.

On Thursdays there have been parents riding and practicing, volunteers showing up to help the kids classes, and usually a group ride, downhill run or sessions when the kids classes are done at 7 PM. Sometime those sessions are just cold beverages while the bikes are resting.

Right now some Saris employees many know from Quarry Ridge building are leading construction of a bike teaching area in the upper pines on Thursdays. We hope this will be done soon, and volunteers will help that.

Pat R posted an updated trail map. On June 22 there will be an open house to check out the place if you're not a member. Membership starts at $25/season and supports a 67 years of educating youth in sport.