•  

Dual Slalom course

October 30, 2012, 08:15 PM

What do you think about making one and where?
     I lived in Durango for a summer and they had a public Dual Slalom course right in town.  It was really cool because my wife could roll it at 5 miles an hour or you could go gang busters and launch the 35ft table tops.  There are no gap jumps or vertical lip jumps, so everyone can ride it.  It had triples you could roll through or send, berms and enough room for two to go elbow to elbow.  For those who haven't ridden these, imagine a short BMX course down a not so steep hill.

The one in Durango was less than 1000ft long and you could ride up or push up adjacent to the course.  A skid steer and dirt would be needed.

XXX

October 30, 2012, 10:05 PM

I'd love a ds course. We could also run it in a collegiate mtb race.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

October 30, 2012, 11:19 PM

Something we could do if we get the new properties added at CamRock. Though it definitely would not be in the center of town. We are planning the pump track and skills area for that.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

October 31, 2012, 09:17 AM

This is a nice goal but I can say from experience, working with land managers, and business interests that much has to be done first. Hopefully our momentum can continue, membership grow, and see more involved in the work and fundraising. Then it could happen.

In the meanwhile let's get on the "flow country" trail project already started, get that pump track in for Cambridge, and get more involved. That more is riders, bike shops, other businesses and other groups.

XXX

October 31, 2012, 11:18 AM

You also need a hill for ds chuck. Pat Remmington said he wanted one at blackhawk and would help with machine work.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX

November 01, 2012, 05:14 PM

I will be certified to run dozers and excavators late next week... lots of time on the skid steer.  The course could be real simple more like a mellow bmx course down a slight hill.  You don't want the start gate or seprate lanes, that would make for to much maintenance.  Just thinking 15ft wide with some berms and table tops in a location quick to session, a play area to spank your buddies.  Blackhawk would be ideal someday.

These take less maintenance than a pump track or dirt jump line because the angles on the jumps aren't so aggressive... more like a series of rollers.  To work, a few individuals would be responsible for upkeep, like the CamRock adopt a trail idea.  I can think of 4 dedicated fellows right now.

Just dreaming... :-*

XXX

November 02, 2012, 07:45 AM

thats a dreamy notion there greyghost. I'd be down to help out, no spanking though. 8)

XXX

November 02, 2012, 11:36 AM

The UW cycling team would like to host a race next year, and Dual Slalom is one of the events. That would mean 2 lines and a start gate would be required, but I've seen start gates made quite easily. We can start talking to people at blackhawk and see if this is a possibility.

XXX

November 03, 2012, 09:07 AM

I have a riding buddy with a walk behind mini skid steer, there is your two lanes.  He just said he would use it to help CORP if needed last night.  I bet he would be good for one or two days.  Also have a buddy who has a quad axle dump truck (non rider).  Small beer fee for him, maybe brats too. 

We could build a manual gate for simplicity and remove it after a race... you can design.

Outa town till next Thursday, bring this up with Alex... I know you are lurking Alex.

XXX
    alex applegate

November 09, 2012, 03:33 PM

This would be awesome-  I would definitely be into helping get something like this going.  Looks like Milwaukee is making some strides along this line as well.

http://bfw.org/2012/11/08/epic-mtb-park-coming-to-franklin/