•  

Can you say lack of foresight or any marketing at all??

Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 30, 2012, 02:36 PM

My wife forwarded me this from madforcs about 30 minutes ago.  Is it any wonder that we don't have a cohesive MTB message in southern Wisconsin???

There is an informational meeting scheduled regarding the use of land in the former Badger Ammunition Plant.  Apparently there has been some mention of building bike trails and specifically single track mountain bike trails (which our area desperately needs).  I am asking all cyclists to show support towards making bike trails part of this master plan.  Please make an effort to attend this meeting, and help spread the word.  If you know someone who enjoys mountain/hybrid riding please forward this message.   I found this article online: http://www.wisconsinoutdoorfun.com/article/20120719/WOF08/120718015/Master-planning-begins-former-Badger-Army-plant-property And this one on the DNR's site: http://dnr.wi.gov/master_planning/saukprairie/ "Department staff will share information about the property and the planning process at the open house that will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Monday, July 30, 2012 in the Lange Student Center on the UW-Baraboo/Sauk County campus, 1006 Connie Road, Baraboo." Thanks in advance for your support and I hope to see you Monday evening.   Brady O'Leary Wildside Adventure Sports 880 Hwy 12 #1 Baraboo, WI 53913 608-356-9218

~ i like social d

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 30, 2012, 03:02 PM

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 30, 2012, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't be able to make it up there by 5:00 tonight.

XXX

July 30, 2012, 03:35 PM

I would've gone, but I work til 5. And since I work in Sauk that would be awesome to have trail basically out the door for me.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 30, 2012, 03:46 PM

I think there is a ton of potential in there...

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

July 30, 2012, 03:58 PM

Can't make it either but I did see the post last week.
    XXX
    sauksauer
    The Dam Trails - Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 30, 2012, 10:56 PM

I put the post up last week and attended the open house tonight. Very early in the planning process...they are essentially collecting public comments on what folks are looking for in recreational opportunities there.  It appears thet most of the terrain is relatively flat and not wooded but who knows for sure until we get a chance to get inside the place.  likely won't get released from the Army until next year.  I also discussed with the Devils Lake state park Supt. the possibility of singletrack in his park which is connected to the future rec. area and obviously has plenty of terrain.  Seems to have potential in his eyes but that may need to go through that parks master plan revision.  Wildside in Baraboo had two people there lobbying.  Sauk prairie endurance club also.  Seemed like OK attendance but I agree that this was not well advertised.  I subscribe to DNR alerts of all sorts and learned of it there. 

http://dnr.wi.gov/master_planning/SaukPrairie/

the link allows for input to be sent to Diane Brusoe...planner for this project.  She is very pleasant and seems eager to listen to peoples hopes for the area.  I encourage anyone interested to send her your comments.   Even if it doesn't result in trails here I believe we need to get a bigger voice in helping planners around the state understand what good singletrack design, build and maintenance is all about.  Thx!  JS

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

July 31, 2012, 10:29 AM

If the place is mostly flat it will most likely not be a very good candidate for building sustainable trail. Now the idea of some access in the Baraboo/Devils Lake area interests be because they have hills and contour like crazy which would make for awesome trail building and its good a nice soil type that makes it easy(er) to build good, compactable trail. Do you know when the next meeting is for this area? I did subscribe to the listserv which I believe is a good start for me. :)

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

July 31, 2012, 10:39 AM

If the place is mostly flat it will most likely not be a very good candidate for building sustainable trail. Now the idea of some access in the Baraboo/Devils Lake area interests be because they have hills and contour like crazy which would make for awesome trail building and its good a nice soil type that makes it easy(er) to build good, compactable trail. Do you know when the next meeting is for this area? I did subscribe to the listserv which I believe is a good start for me. :)
    Remember you don't need much elevation change to make a good sustainable trail. The Outback berm section is a sustained 3%. Not much, but a ton of fun, and sustainable :) Usually even farm fields will have this much slope, or at least drainage areas or older ravines that can be used.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 31, 2012, 10:49 AM

Remember you don't need much elevation change to make a good sustainable trail. The Outback berm section is a sustained 3%. Not much, but a ton of fun, and sustainable :) Usually even farm fields will have this much slope, or at least drainage areas or older ravines that can be used.

Same slope as the pump track where anybody who learns to pump can also go uphill without pedaling.

Note to DNR, tourism industry, sellers of beer, sellers of Pizza and sellers of bikes.

1. Look at Valmont, Colonnade, Whistler and Copper Harbor.
    2. Look at Alpine FLOWFORM products (http://www.alpinebikeparks.com/products.php).
    3. Connect to Devil's Lake State Park

Add them up, shake them out, and you're on the map. On the map with a spot where people will plan vacations and build businesses around it.

The potential of this site, proximity to Devil's Lake, Blue Mound and somebody with room tax income has had this as part of the rough idea of an area ride center.

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

July 31, 2012, 11:17 AM

3% is a bit low but doable, trust you me the outback is still the last place to really dry up completely after a rain too but I do agree there are ways of building trail on a flatter slope for sure. The other thing I'm interested in is the prairie in any way considered a wetland of some sort, that opens a nice can of worms.

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

July 31, 2012, 11:21 AM

3% is a bit low but doable, trust you me the outback is still the last place to really dry up completely after a rain too but I do agree there are ways of building trail on a flatter slope for sure. The other thing I'm interested in is the prairie in any way considered a wetland of some sort, that opens a nice can of worms.
    The area with the berm trail is the 3% slope area and is never wet. The beginning of Outback is essentially flat to 1% slope.
    What prairie area are you referring to? There are a lot of prairies at CamRock.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 31, 2012, 11:46 AM

Here's the map of the area, it's pretty darn flat:
    http://goo.gl/maps/6bR2Q

The wikipedia page has a blurb about geology, perhaps someone has enough background in that area to make a guess as to what that might mean for the soil condition.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger_Army_Ammunition_Plant#Geology

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 31, 2012, 12:09 PM

I'd assert that the Kettles are similarly flat yet they seem to have some decent trails...

~ i like social d

XXX

July 31, 2012, 12:51 PM

My bro and I were able to take a rare guided bus tour of the land before they started tearing everything down, its very flat.  Didn't see any Kettles climbs out there.  That being said, its a large area and there could be some hill action that we didnt see. 

~ Burn rubber

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:52 PM by DaveHill »