•  

Can you say lack of foresight or any marketing at all??

Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 31, 2012, 01:27 PM

I know the terrain along Hwy 78 on the southern/eastern border is pretty rolling and interesting. Of course depending on how far the north border extends the terrain towards the bluff is incredible.  The rest, of course, is awful.

~ i like social d

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

July 31, 2012, 01:31 PM

Kettles has elevation and contour at least some places. Yes a few sections are what we call flat (1-3% slope at the tread) but I am willing to bet if everything at the Kettles was like that there would be vastly less options for building anything that would be overly fun; in a prairie no less. Now you could elevate it in spots with turn pikes or board walks, berms, rollers and it would be killer fun but very very expensive to build and maintain.

Just for the record you CAN build on anything at 3% or better grade/slope, no arguing on that at all we do it with much success all the time but  not optimal of course. Get out a digital level with a slope % reading, 3% is pretty darn flat. Rich makes a good point in that different soils handle saturation different then others and hold together when wet, CamRock is one of those soils that once dried out once for the year is freaking bomb proof. FWIW I'd love to be able to see the property and walk it when we have a chance being that I have never been there. Could be nothing, could be a fantastic mountain bike trail gold mine! I pray its the latter. :)

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:33 PM by Dave »

XXX
    rkmears
    Newb Dirt Guy

July 31, 2012, 01:55 PM

A large chunk of the green areas allocated to the DNR as indicated on the map would work out great for trails. I used to do the Badger State road race there. The northeast section partially starts to climb the bluff. The "North Magazines" are would be fun as well as there are lots of undulating hills where the underground ammo houses were. The corner by V1, V3, and V5 also hold potential for a nice mix of trails. The area has great potential for trails all over the land.

Good luck getting Devil's Lake on board for trails. The local mountain bike club tried for years to advance trails in that park and were always met with resistance. Maybe they had the wrong approach. Devil's Lake would be a great area around here to add trails. The South side of the Bluff near the ammo plant is very gnarly and would definitely be fun.

XXX

July 31, 2012, 02:43 PM

From a beginner standpoint, I could very easily imagine some training/skills areas on flat terrain. Long, straight skinnies that are not too high. Some basic berms, log piles, and rock gardens as well. By putting these features on flat-ish terrain and with plenty of room, new and inexperienced riders can learn how to handle them at both decreased risk and pressure. I know it would be some work, but building a jump line and/or another pump track would be pretty cool too.

I think part of the success of the larger parks and biking destinations is due to their ability to provide for riders of all levels. As much as we love trails with big downhills and jumps and tight, off-camber turns, you gotta start somewhere.

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

July 31, 2012, 05:31 PM

From a beginner standpoint, I could very easily imagine some training/skills areas on flat terrain. Long, straight skinnies that are not too high. Some basic berms, log piles, and rock gardens as well. By putting these features on flat-ish terrain and with plenty of room, new and inexperienced riders can learn how to handle them at both decreased risk and pressure. I know it would be some work, but building a jump line and/or another pump track would be pretty cool too.

I think part of the success of the larger parks and biking destinations is due to their ability to provide for riders of all levels. As much as we love trails with big downhills and jumps and tight, off-camber turns, you gotta start somewhere.

Aaron I like your thought on the skills park! Something like a mini Rays for folks to play on. If the funding is there to build and maintain it, I say heck ya. :)

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

July 31, 2012, 05:54 PM

For people's interest here is a topo from http://dnrmaps.wi.gov

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX
    sauksauer
    The Dam Trails - Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 31, 2012, 10:01 PM

Love to see the enthusiasm.  Selfishly would be thrilled to get some trails of any type so close to home. Can only dream of riding up the old RR tracks as a warm up and have something to play on up there.  Hope some of you send a message of enthusiasm to Diane!  JS

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

July 31, 2012, 10:08 PM

Does she have an email address for Diane? I'll send out the vibe to her. :)

XXX
    sauksauer
    The Dam Trails - Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

August 02, 2012, 05:33 PM

Link to

http://dnr.wi.gov/master_planning/saukprairie/

her email is near the bottom of the page