•  

CamRock will have groomed snowbiking trails this winter!

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

November 12, 2014, 07:28 PM

This is really exciting! The CamRock Trails will have machine-groomed trails for snowbiking this winter!

This is something that we have been kicking around for some time. But with the very limited resources we have, it has been hard to justify the expense of investing in grooming equipment. But after meeting with folks from Trek today, I have some great news. They are going to donate to CORP both the operator and the grooming machinery to help keep the CamRock trails ready to roll this winter. Trek is buying a new Ski Doo Trail Boss snowmobile with inter-cooling and trail gearing. They are also having the a custom made groomer manufactured by the Noquemanon Trail Network folks. I saw this groomer at the Fat Bike summit last winter and it is the Cadillac of groomers. It is basically a miniature XC ski trail groomer. It will lay down perfect corduroy for our riding pleasure. They want to see what the response is from having nicely groomed snowbiking trails to ride the whole winter through. I for one am super-stoked to see what these trails will look like when they can remain groomed through the winter.

The next step is going to be scouting all of the trails for width and turning radius. Some trails will be too narrow. Some will have too tight of turns. But I think a large majority of the trails will be groomable with this machine. I am hoping to have about 7 miles of groomed trail for riding. There may be some minor shortcuts and/or snowbiking re-routes needed. But luckily we have a lot of easy options in most places. We also need to evaluate whether it would make sense to get some snowfencing installed in a few places. This may keep trails that would be affected by wind in good shape for many more days between grooming sessions.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    rkmears
    Newb Dirt Guy

November 13, 2014, 06:50 AM

That is outstanding news!!!

XXX

November 13, 2014, 11:34 AM

Sweet!

XXX

November 13, 2014, 10:01 PM

Awesome. I am sure there could just be minor reroutes in the tight and twisty places. As for the snow fencing, if you aren't walking once in a while, you aren't snow biking.

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

November 15, 2014, 09:36 AM

Great news. This is truly awesome. My opinion of Trek has certainly increased just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

November 16, 2014, 03:26 PM

I plan to head out with Chad for a ride this week to scope things out. I will let you know what we are thinking after that. Stoked ;D

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

November 28, 2014, 12:51 AM

Weather and schedule conflicts have delayed Chad and I getting out for the needed scouting. We will finally get out tomorrow afternoon.

I will know more by tomorrow afternoon. But I am pretty confident from the scouting I have done on my own, that this is going to take more work than I initially anticipated. There will need to be some substantial work done to make this happen.

Stay tuned....

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

November 28, 2014, 08:52 PM

We got a nice ride in and a lot of scouting was done today:

We confirmed a number of areas that we will not be able to groom. Mostly Corkscrew and Rattlesnake. Parts of Turn It Up are questionable, but I have a re-route if needed.

I would appreciate some help getting these re-routes established. Let me know if you would like to lend a hand.

There are still a lot of unknowns out here. A lot of areas are in the "this might work" category. Chad and I figured the best way to tackle these questionable areas is to go out after the first significant snowfall with the snowmobile and groomer attached, take a rock bar for moving frozen rocks and/or downed trees, and handsaw, and just see what works and what does not. We figure this will take most of a day.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    g

December 01, 2014, 01:38 PM

We confirmed a number of areas that we will not be able to groom. Mostly Corkscrew and Rattlesnake. Parts of Turn It Up are questionable, but I have a re-route if needed.

I would appreciate some help getting these re-routes established. Let me know if you would like to lend a hand.

There are still a lot of unknowns out here. A lot of areas are in the "this might work" category. Chad and I figured the best way to tackle these questionable areas is to go out after the first significant snowfall with the snowmobile and groomer attached, take a rock bar for moving frozen rocks and/or downed trees, and handsaw, and just see what works and what does not. We figure this will take most of a day.
    Chuck let me know what I can do to help.  I am really looking forward to having some machine groomed trails this season.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 01, 2014, 02:45 PM

Chuck let me know what I can do to help.  I am really looking forward to having some machine groomed trails this season.
    Thanks Garrett. We are getting a perfect opportunity with the weather (no snow) this week. It will need to be later or over the weekend for me. I think if I could get a couple of folks, we could do the prep we know we need in 3-4 hours. It would be best if things were frozen in the park. Maybe Saturday morning before the Global Fat Bike Ride?
    Lets keep in touch and see what the weather is looking like this weekend.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 05, 2014, 09:03 AM

Alright. It looks like the weather is cooperating nicely for prepping the trail. Let's get out before the Global Fat Bike Day ride at 11 and do some trail prepping. I think what we have to do can be done in a couple of hours.
    Methinks one of our duties should involve staging a couple of refreshment stops along the riding route tomorrow.....
    Who can get out early tomorrow? Say meet at the CORP garage at 8:30a?
    Post up or give me a jingle at 7:SEVEN:2 SEVEN:83:THREE

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:05 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    g

December 05, 2014, 10:54 AM

Alright. It looks like the weather is cooperating nicely for prepping the trail. Let's get out before the Global Fat Bike Day ride at 11 and do some trail prepping. I think what we have to do can be done in a couple of hours.
    Methinks one of our duties should involve staging a couple of refreshment stops along the riding route tomorrow.....
    Who can get out early tomorrow? Say meet at the CORP garage at 8:30a?
    Post up or give me a jingle at 7:SEVEN:2 SEVEN:83:THREE
    I will plan on being there @ 8:30 Chuck and see if I can get a couple of people to come out as well.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 05, 2014, 01:35 PM

Sounds great Garrett. Mike Pett is going to join us as well. A couple of us should be able to get it done. But the more the merrier.
    If we get done early we may have to sample the refreshments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens