•  

Fatbike Curious

November 27, 2023, 05:44 AM

I am fat bike curious. How many times a winter are you guys riding groomed singletrack?(I am only interested in riding single track)

What are your thoughts on renting fat bike vs purchasing?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

November 27, 2023, 07:52 AM

I am fat bike curious. How many times a winter are you guys riding groomed singletrack?(I am only interested in riding single track)

What are your thoughts on renting fat bike vs purchasing?

My wife and I started with rentals, bought a used fat bike, and for a few seasons had a pair of them.  Use depends on snow and grooming conditions. The grooming is good exercise. The more who help, the more riding or better riding.

In some ways it is really good for riding skills. I mean riding balanced (light hands, heavy feet), and being used to a bike moving under you.

When we had same brand bikes but one AL and one composite, one with some lighter parts, none of it mattered much if you are not a competitive racer. A suspension fork was not worth the price and weight for winter riding. 27.5 size wheels with big knobby studded tires can be strange but IMO worth it. They created more days when it was a fun and good ride.

Rotten ski conditions days are often great fat bike days.

Here's a general or whole community tip. After it snows lots of people who go out and ride should be on snow shoes first or helping someone operate one of the machine groomers. The people who just try to ride ungroomed trails and trails needing to set up hurt how good the riding can be. A groomed trail that can sit overnight is MUCH better.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

November 27, 2023, 08:32 PM

In terms of riding frequency, it is entirely weather dependent.  Some winters it seems like you can ride whenever you want, others you're doing well to get out a handful of times.  It helps to be able to get out first thing in the morning or after dark when the trails are firmer.  And as William points out, the more people who are helping make the trails good, the better they are.

XXX

November 28, 2023, 11:38 AM

There's been seasons when I've ridden my fatbike in February just as much as my trail bike in August. Having studded tires to handle ice or imperfect conditions, and the willingness to ride in the early mornings and at night when the trails are frozen will be big factors.