•  

Packing the trail

December 23, 2012, 08:38 AM

We went out yesterday and snowshoed the trail that heads down to the right about midway through the downhill side of parking lot by the pool.  I believe it is about 3 miles long.  Though we go it started, it definitely needs some more packing before the fatties will work.  We made it in on the bikes a whopping 5 feet or so before we realized the it would be a snowshoe day.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 23, 2012, 07:04 PM

Once a trail is snowshoed in, or "stomped", it really needs to go through an evening before it ready to ride on. The hard freeze of a winter evening hardens the snow considerably.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

December 26, 2012, 07:17 AM

We went out yesterday and snowshoed the trail that heads down to the right about midway through the downhill side of parking lot by the pool.  I believe it is about 3 miles long.  Though we go it started, it definitely needs some more packing before the fatties will work.  We made it in on the bikes a whopping 5 feet or so before we realized the it would be a snowshoe day.

Thanks for your efforts. It will harden up if the weather continues to cooperate. But it's taking a little longer than usual due to the depth of the snow, I think. I was out at the Schmidt scrap yard on Saturday, and they plowed up mud under the snow, even though the temperature has been into the teens overnight. The snow is a pretty effective insulator and it's going to take some extra time for it to freeze solidly at the base. Stomping it down should reduce the air content enough for it to freeze well.

Walt

XXX

December 30, 2012, 02:09 PM

Conditions update:

The trail is packed and ride-able from the parking lot to the end of the Chirt Dip. We started on Serpentine Climb but it is still loose.

It doesn't look like we are getting any warm up soon to stiffen it up, so we need more fat bike traffic.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

December 31, 2012, 09:46 AM

Update:

Was out yesterday (Sunday) afternoon...I'd say conditions are perfect on the Gneiss and Smooth/Chert Dip/Serpentine Climb/Basalty Bail loop.  We ventured out towards Holy Schist, but quickly turned around...that's got some snow shoe tracks, but it was still too soft.

Get out there and ride it!

XXX
    wadedro

December 31, 2012, 11:08 AM

ditto- it was pretty a good time.  Mounds is so smooth in the winter.  ;)  Totally different trail.  Gotta thank the snowshoer's.  I still don't understand why you'd want to snowshoe on an already packed trail, but hey, helps the fatbiking conditions.........guess you won't get lost if you stay on the trail.  I prefer blazing new trail on the SHOES......freshies.   

XXX

January 02, 2013, 08:07 PM

Four of us went out tonight, the trail is fast. Don't miss out, get on it soon.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 03, 2013, 08:02 AM

Ditto...I was out last night also.  Trail is hard packed and fast.  For those that think Blue Mound is too rough and doesn't flow, you need to ride it right now!

XXX

January 04, 2013, 09:25 AM

If we get more traffic on the Holy Schist we could eventually get that open. It would be great if everyone out on the trail could  add a few more feet to that trail every time your out.  Thanks for the help.

XXX

January 04, 2013, 10:41 AM

Is everyone who has ridden Blue Mound on a fatbike?  My fattest bike has 2.25" tires, so... I did get out to Camrock and was able to clear a good section (and drag my bike for a couple miles as well).  I just don't want to show up only to turn around due to too soft of snow.  I guess I could bring my skis too...

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 04, 2013, 10:50 AM

I'm on a fatty.

Though the last time I was out there (Wed evening) I think it was packed enough to ride on a regular MTB.

That said, if you make the trip, I'd bring the skis too in case it doesn't work out so well with the bike.  Or bring your snow shoes and stomp some of Holy Schist!  ;D

XXX

January 04, 2013, 11:12 AM

We road most of last winter on 2.25's, the current pack is a little lose for you on the uphills but, you should still be fine. I like the of getting Holy Schist stomped, if that gets done the snowshoers will do most of the work for us. Let us know how it goes

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 04, 2013, 12:18 PM

Is everyone who has ridden Blue Mound on a fatbike?  My fattest bike has 2.25" tires, so... I did get out to Camrock and was able to clear a good section (and drag my bike for a couple miles as well).  I just don't want to show up only to turn around due to too soft of snow.  I guess I could bring my skis too...
    Keep in mind as well that with the warm temperatures and sunshine that it will loosen some of the hard pack trail. Best to get out at the coldest parts of the day for the firmest trails.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

January 04, 2013, 12:53 PM

Keep in mind as well that with the warm temperatures and sunshine that it will loosen some of the hard pack trail. Best to get out at the coldest parts of the day for the firmest trails.
    Good point.  Early morning ride it is, if I can figure out a time that I don't have skiing planned with friends.  Man, life is hard  ;)

XXX

January 04, 2013, 02:37 PM

Heard from two friends that went to BM mid-day today on skinnies and they said it was great.