Board Member at Large

January 29, 2014, 09:07 AM

Nice article.  CORP is mentioned a few times:

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=41915

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:40 AM by Renegade Rick »

XXX XXX

January 29, 2014, 12:17 PM

doesn't really say if it's illegal or not to ride FB's on snowmobile trails

Winter bicyclists need to know if the trail they plan to use allows for bikes.

"Much of the state's extensive snowmobile trail system exists on private lands through agreements with landowners obtained by local volunteers, exclusively for snowmobile use," Brown said.

Even if fat or ski bikes are legally on multi-use trails that are open to snowmobiles, safety is an issue, especially at night.

XXX

January 29, 2014, 12:18 PM

doesn't really say if it's illegal or not to ride FB's on snowmobile trails, unless "exclusively" = that

Winter bicyclists need to know if the trail they plan to use allows for bikes.

"Much of the state's extensive snowmobile trail system exists on private lands through agreements with landowners obtained by local volunteers, exclusively for snowmobile use," Brown said.

Even if fat or ski bikes are legally on multi-use trails that are open to snowmobiles, safety is an issue, especially at night.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 29, 2014, 12:33 PM

It is a fact that bikes are not allowed on most snowmobile trails. They are private land and are only approved for snowmobiling. You are on your own if you bike here and risk fines, the ire of the snowmobiling community, and possibly your peers.
    The exception are the state owned trails. All of them I know of in this area are rail-trails that allow snowmobiling in the winter. For now these are legal to ride on. This status is under review by the dnr.
    Always use safety (lots of lights and reflective material) if you are biking anywhere other vehicles with motors also travel. They will be moving much faster than you!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

January 29, 2014, 02:06 PM

ok

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

January 29, 2014, 02:11 PM

I guess I don't see the attraction to riding on snowmobile trails/rail trails, rather I see it being dangerous and boring. That's just my opinion and I don't even own a fat bike!

XXX

January 29, 2014, 02:18 PM

GOODOAK started a similar thread discussion on this topic a month or 2 ago ......... I believe.

found it http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?topic=2128.0

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:21 PM by Wade C »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 29, 2014, 04:34 PM

GOODOAK started a similar thread discussion on this topic a month or 2 ago ......... I believe.

found it http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?topic=2128.0
    Yes a good discussion started by Good Oak. Reading back it is nice to know we managed to learn a bit since then as well. Apparently we are teachable

~ Chuck Hutchens