•  

We need your help to get trails in Sun Prairie!!

JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

December 22, 2014, 08:33 AM

We NEED your help!

Please write a brief email to the City Council and Mayor (council&mayor@cityofsunprairie.com) to express your support for singletrack trails in Sheehan Park.

Here's why:

For the last several months, we have worked to create a proposal to build multi-use singletrack trails at Sheehan Park in Sun Prairie.

On December 16, we presented this proposal to the City of Sun Prairie, and it was generally very well-received. Since then, we have encountered some unexpected and very vocal opposition to the proposed trail system. We need supporters of this proposal to express their support as soon as possible!

Your email to the City Council and Mayor does not need to be long or detailed (the official proposal is already very long & detailed). A brief expression of support is best for you and for the City Officials who read your message. You can view the full proposal at the Sun Prairie Moves link below. Once you have sent your email, please comment on this post.

Thank you for your support!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:29 PM by Renegade Rick »

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

December 22, 2014, 09:43 AM

Can you summarize what the opposition is concerned about?

XXX

December 22, 2014, 09:53 AM

Done.

And I'd like to clarify that the email address is council&mayor@cityofsunprairie.com, the auto-formatting in the original post got a little confused.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

December 22, 2014, 11:44 AM

Email corrected  ;)

I have not been intimately involved in the project but TJ or Dusty should be able to explain the issues.
    XXX
    Dusty Trail

December 22, 2014, 03:43 PM

A first a HUGE "Thank you!" to everyone who has already reached out to the City of Sun Prairie to express their support for the proposed trail system in Sheehan Park. Keep those emails coming! We can't have too many.

The opposing group is concerned that the singletrack trail will cause damage to the mowed, grassy surfaces in the park in the areas where the trail crosses the grassy areas between the wooded sections.

The opposing group is also concerned for the safety of runners in the park (the ones NOT running on the singletrack trails) due to the possibility of collisions in the same areas where the proposed trail emerges from the wooded sections of park.

We are in the progress of working with this group to address their concerns, but don't seem to be making progress in changing their opinions. We hope that with some additional information and assurances, this group will change from opposing to supporting our proposal.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific about the opposition group, it is a sensitive and fluid situation.

While we understand that the safety concerns are legitimate, we are confident that these concerns can and will be addressed with proper trail design, construction & maintenance.

The opposition to our proposal came as a huge surprise to us, because several of us who worked on the proposal are runners. We view the creation of singletrack trails as an enhancement of the running facilities at Sheehan Park, not as a threat. I actually run at Sheehan Park 2-3 times per week whenever the paths are not icy or snow-covered. I usually run while pushing my 2-year-old son in the jogger and my dog on a leash, so the safety of these intersections are of huge personal importance to me. I will make sure they are done right!

We are asking supporters of the trail to reach out to the City of Sun Prairie to help counter-balance the negative feedback the City has received from the opposition group.

If you contact the City, there is no need to get into the technical aspects of safety, trail design, etc. All we are asking for is a simple email saying who you are, where you are from and that you support the proposal to build multi-use, singletrack trails in Sheehan Park.

Thanks again for your support!

XXX

December 29, 2014, 05:11 PM

emailed

XXX

December 29, 2014, 08:08 PM

emailed

XXX
    Dave Reece
    Trail Steward | Battle of CamRock Race Conductor
    Trail Steward

December 31, 2014, 11:21 AM

Done

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

~ Cheers!

Dave Reece
    Camrock Trail Crew

XXX

January 20, 2015, 09:20 AM

Emailed.

Can you also be sure to post in advance when the proposal will be brought before the Sun Prairie City Council again.

I would like to attend the board meeting and comment during the public comments section.

Thanks!